[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How does the system know one disk from another?

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (09/19/90)

   How exactly can a program, the system, etc. tell the difference between
two floppies.  If I take floppy (ok, firm) disk A and call it 'Blah', an d
insert it into my only internal firm drive, then hit shift-cmd-1 and proceed
to insert firm disk B, also named 'Blah' - the system will create
a new icon on the desktop and leave disk A's icon greyed...  and when
I insert A back in, it highlights A's original icon... So the question is:
           What information is it reading to discern the difference,
           Where is this stored,
       and Which textual references can I find on this?

(Inside Apple, etc?)...

Thanks to all in advance...

Loki.  (mldemsey@caslon.cs.arizona.edu)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (09/20/90)

In article <403@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) writes:

>   How exactly can a program, the system, etc. tell the difference between
>two floppies.  If I take floppy (ok, firm) disk A and call it 'Blah', an d
>insert it into my only internal firm drive, then hit shift-cmd-1 and proceed
>to insert firm disk B, also named 'Blah' - the system will create
>a new icon on the desktop and leave disk A's icon greyed...  and when
>I insert A back in, it highlights A's original icon... So the question is:
>           What information is it reading to discern the difference,
>           Where is this stored,
>       and Which textual references can I find on this?

The technique I always recommend is to remember the volume's name and
creation date. I seem to recall that the Alias Manager for System 7.0
saves that information along with the size of the volume.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions