[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Tech Notes

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (10/18/89)

Is there (anywhere) a listing of what is covered in each of the Apple tech
notes?  I'd really like to know which tech notes I have immediate use for and
which I don't without having to download, unpack, and read each one.

Thanks in advance,

-------
Christopher Tate                  |  "Hear perfect strangers call you by name,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu              |   Pay good money to hear Fire and Rain
...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |   Again and again and again....
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet               |   That's why I'm here!"      -- JT

dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke) (10/18/89)

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Is there (anywhere) a listing of what is covered in each of the Apple tech
>notes?  I'd really like to know which tech notes I have immediate use for and
>which I don't without having to download, unpack, and read each one.

  If you just download the lastest batch via ftp, then you can look at tech
note #0, it contains a listing by # & subject of every technote.

  Hope this helps.
--
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|/////////////////////////////////////////
David M. O'Rourke____________________|_____________dorourke@polyslo.calpoly.edu

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/18/89)

In article <89290.151118CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Is there (anywhere) a listing of what is covered in each of the Apple tech
>notes?  I'd really like to know which tech notes I have immediate use for and
>which I don't without having to download, unpack, and read each one.

My personal advice is to download and print each and every one, if you
are doing any kind of serious programming.  Short of this, Technote #0
contains the table of contents and listing by subject matter, so it's
probably the best place to start.  The index might also be nice to
have, too.

The problem is that they all have fascinating little tidbits of
information that you are likely to get nowhere else.  If you do this
for a living, you really need the whole set.

There is also a Technotes stack, but this doesn't seem to get updated
often enough to be considered current for very long.

Earle R. Horton

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (10/19/89)

In article <89290.151118CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET> CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) writes:
>Is there (anywhere) a listing of what is covered in each of the Apple tech
>notes?  I'd really like to know which tech notes I have immediate use for and
>which I don't without having to download, unpack, and read each one.

Tech Note #0, "About Macintosh Technical Notes", and the Tech Notes Index are
revised every time there is a new release.  TN #0 contains the titles of all
of the Tech Notes.  The indices include a subject index and a keyword index.

I highly recommend the Tech Note stack which contains all of the Tech Notes
and illustrations.  It is very easy to find things in it and it includes the
infamous dogcow and TN #31.  It's big but you only have to download it once
(although you do have to get the whole thing when they update it unlike the
separate Tech Notes).  I have all the notes on paper but I find it's much
quicker to use the stack.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

boissier@irisa.irisa.fr (franck boissiere,externes ) (10/19/89)

From article <1989Oct17.204451.17373@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU>, by dorourke@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David M. O'Rourke):
>   If you just download the lastest batch via ftp, then you can look at tech
> note #0, it contains a listing by # & subject of every technote.
>
>   Hope this helps.

Nope for me. I do not have ftp access. Is there any mail server were
I could find them?

Thanks in advance

Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
Prototyping Lab Manager                 boissier@ccettix.UUCP
C.C.E.T.T.   B.P. 59                    boissier%irisa.irisa.fr@uunet.uu.net
35512 CESSON SEVIGNE CEDEX  FRANCE

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (10/31/89)

In article <5658@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:

>Tech Note #0, "About Macintosh Technical Notes", and the Tech Notes Index are
>revised every time there is a new release.  TN #0 contains the titles of all
>of the Tech Notes.  The indices include a subject index and a keyword index.
>
>I highly recommend the Tech Note stack which contains all of the Tech Notes
>and illustrations.  It is very easy to find things in it and it includes the
>infamous dogcow and TN #31.  It's big but you only have to download it once
>(although you do have to get the whole thing when they update it unlike the
>separate Tech Notes).  I have all the notes on paper but I find it's much
>quicker to use the stack.

I'll probably be embarrassed to find out (not having RTFM)
that it already exists, but wouldn't it be nice if the
Tech Note stack had an update button that would prompt
you for a folder containing new editions of the Tech
Notes, as they come from Apple, and would then update
all the pertinent notes and import the new notes?

Tom Kimpton                    UUCP: {uunet,caeco,nrc-ut}!iconsys!tom
Software Engineer	       INTERNET: tom@iconsys.uu.net
Icon International, Inc.       BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet (multi-user acct)
Orem, Utah 84058               PHONE: (801) 225-6888

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (11/01/89)

In article <411@iconsys.UUCP> tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) writes:

>I'll probably be embarrassed to find out (not having RTFM)
>that it already exists, but wouldn't it be nice if the
>Tech Note stack had an update button that would prompt
>you for a folder containing new editions of the Tech
>Notes, as they come from Apple, and would then update
>all the pertinent notes and import the new notes?

This idea (an updater stack) has been in the original plan and is still
in the works.  We had decided to wait on a stable version of the stack,
and neither 3.0 nor 3.1 was that (in the sense that they weren't likely
to change--witness the changes from 3.0 to 3.1).  We are about ready to
release 3.2 in November with all the Notes through October 1989 and a
few highly requested features.  If all goes well, we'll aim the updater
at 3.2 as it won't change much unless you keep requesting things that
can be done to it.  We will be trying to get these updates out within
2 weeks of the paper Notes (if not at the same time).  Hope this helps.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (11/03/89)

In article <36098@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
>                                          We are about ready to
>release 3.2 in November with all the Notes through October 1989 and a
>few highly requested features.  If all goes well, we'll aim the updater
>at 3.2 as it won't change much unless you keep requesting things that
>can be done to it.  We will be trying to get these updates out within
>2 weeks of the paper Notes (if not at the same time).  Hope this helps.

How does one go about getting this stack?  I'm just starting
programming on the Mac (only a year or so) and don't have all the
technotes yet.  I have ftp.

New subject:
   Can someone out there give me some idea as to the usefullness of
MacApp?  I'm not even real sure as to what it is, actually.  But it
was noted in my MPW docs and I am interested.

   And if you don't mind, could someone also explain the benefits
of belonging to APDA?

Terry

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (11/03/89)

In article <1989Nov2.190025.14568@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu.UUCP (Terrell Drinkard) writes:

>New subject:
>   Can someone out there give me some idea as to the usefullness of
>MacApp?  I'm not even real sure as to what it is, actually.  But it
>was noted in my MPW docs and I am interested.

Let me put it this way: I won't program without MacApp anymore. And I know that
anyone else in DTS who had mastered MacApp and needs to write a real program
feels the same way (unless your name is Paul, in which case you'll use ACL).

MacApp is an object oriented application framework. It is written in Apple's
Object Pascal, but can also be accessed by C++. It gives you the basic frame-
work of an application, and allows you to fill in the missing parts. For
instance, all you need to do to get a working program that supported a full
set of menus, multiple windows, window management, about box, scrollbars,
memory management, exception handing, multifinder awareness, etc. is write
about 50 lines of source code. Here is a little Nothing program that comes with
MacApp that gives you all that I mentioned. Basically, all it does is create
an Application object responsible for running your program (from the main event
loop on down), and defines a procedure to be called when the window needs to be
updated (TDefaultView.Draw):

PROGRAM UNothing;

    USES UMacApp, UPrinting, Fonts;

    CONST
        kSignature          = 'SS01';
        kFileType           = 'SF01';

    TYPE
        TNothingApplication = OBJECT (TApplication)
            PROCEDURE TNothingApplication.INothingApplication(itsMainFileType:
OSType);
            END;

        TDefaultView        = OBJECT (TView)
            PROCEDURE TDefaultView.Draw(area: Rect); OVERRIDE;
            END;

    VAR
        gNothingApplication: TNothingApplication;

    PROCEDURE TNothingApplication.INothingApplication(itsMainFileType: OSType);

        BEGIN
        IApplication(itsMainFileType);
        RegisterStdType('TDefaultView', 'dflt');
        IF gDeadStripSuppression THEN
            IF Member(TObject(NIL), TDefaultView) THEN ;
        END;

    PROCEDURE TDefaultView.Draw(area: Rect); OVERRIDE;

        VAR
            itsQDExtent:        Rect;

        BEGIN
        PenNormal;
        PenSize(10, 10);
        PenPat(dkGray);
        GetQDExtent(itsQDExtent);
        FrameRect(itsQDExtent);
        TextFont(ApplFont);
        TextSize(72);
        MoveTo(45, 90);
        DrawString('MacApp(');
        PenNormal;
        END;

    BEGIN

    InitToolBox;
    IF ValidateConfiguration(gConfiguration) THEN
        BEGIN
        InitUMacApp(8);
        InitUPrinting;
        New(gNothingApplication);
        FailNIL(gNothingApplication);
        gNothingApplication.INothingApplication(kFileType);
        gNothingApplication.Run;
        END
    ELSE
        StdAlert(phUnsupportedConfiguration);
    END.

In addition, MacApp gives you excellent development tools and debugging
facilities, including an object inspector, a class browser, a view layout
editor, discipline, writeln window, high-level breaks and tracing, performance
tools, etc.

>   And if you don't mind, could someone also explain the benefits
>of belonging to APDA?

You can buy MacApp...

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

pplaffon@athena.mit.edu (Philippe P Laffont) (05/06/90)

I'm interested in getting some tech notes (I'm unsucessfully trying to
write an init which will automatically position a window depending on
its parent's previous position).  How do I go about getting technotes?
Can I get them off the NET somewhere?

Philippe P. Laffont
pplaffon@athena.mit.edu

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (09/24/90)

Could someone please point out to me where I could ftp the Mac
TechNotes from?

Thanks for your help.

--
Ray Johnson