[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SCSI Commands

Eliot.Henry@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (09/20/90)

Thank you for all your help people!

I still am having trouble finding the command bytes needed to cause scsi devices
to do things. I know that the code for read is 8 and write is 10 but i need moreInformation. Could someone please send me a list of the commands and all of
the info on the parameters each takes! Thanks! I would also appreciate pointers
to where to obtain good books on the subject (besides the ANSI electrical specs!) Thanks in advance!

--

rkumar@rnd.GBA.NYU.EDU (Rachna Kumar) (09/24/90)

I would like to read and write to a video buffer through its SCSI interface.  Are there any software available which will allow me to do so?

Also is there any good book on the subject?  I am also willing to pay if somebody is interested in doing this for me.

Thanks

dvorak@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au (09/24/90)

In article <1105@beguine.UUCP>, Eliot.Henry@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) writes:
> Thank you for all your help people!
>
> I still am having trouble finding the command bytes needed to cause scsi devices
> to do things. I know that the code for read is 8 and write is 10 but i need moreInformation. Could someone please send me a list of the commands and all of
> the info on the parameters each takes! Thanks! I would also appreciate pointers
> to where to obtain good books on the subject (besides the ANSI electrical specs!) Thanks in advance!

Your best bet is is call your friendly Hard Disk retailer and as for a product
manual. This has worked for me from both retailers and Segate (Seagate in the
USA even sent me a manual!). Other manufacturers may call the book with SCSI
commands something other than a "Product Manual", but ask and thou might
receive. SCSI commands differ slightly from device to device.

The other avenue is to mail mr SRC@SCUZZY.UUCP (Heiko Blume) who at one point
mailed a very good article to comp.periphs.scsi. We only have it on paper here
and we don't want to type it in :-( .

Also, you might try to find a document describing the "Common Command Subset"
which most devices should support.

Happy SCSI'ing and try to avoid the "SEEK RECORD AND SCOUR DISK" command :-).

Darko Volaric (with prompting by Marcus Jager)

Phone: +61 9 330 2876 D V O R A K   C O M P U T E R dvorak@fennel.cc.uwa.oz.au