[comp.sys.mac.programmer] new virus?

sonenbli@oxy.edu (Andrew D. Sonenblick) (09/14/90)

Ok, it looks like I have gotten a new virus...

Whenever text on my mac is printed to screen, if it is supposed to be
outlined, it comes out extended, and underlined comes out condensed,
and vice versa (extend becomes outlined...)

I have found out that the naught code resides withing my desktop file.
Everytime I rebuild, my text appears normal--for awhile. Then, wham-o,
back to mixup time.  I haven't been able to isolate when exactly or what
I'm running when it happens...

Anyway, I thought I would mention this in case anyone has any info that
can aid me or just to inform the mac community that this may be lurking...

Ando Moon.

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (09/17/90)

sonenbli@oxy.edu (Andrew D. Sonenblick) writes:
>Whenever text on my mac is printed to screen, if it is supposed to be
>outlined, it comes out extended, and underlined comes out condensed,
>and vice versa (extend becomes outlined...)

This sounds awfully like the WDEF virus; especially how you're saying that
rebuilding the desktop fixes the problem temporarily (probably until you
re-insert an infected floppy).

Please, do yourself and all neighbours a favour and get disinfectant 2.0 or 2.1
and install the disinfectant init.  This will tell you when any of the known
viruses come into contact with your system.  Running the disinfectant
application will allow you to remove them.

For WDEF, you may want to get the "eradicate 'em" init which actually kills all
wdef viruses within reach.

ajr

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/25/90)

In article <109816@tiger.oxy.edu> sonenbli@oxy.edu (Andrew D. Sonenblick) writes:
>Ok, it looks like I have gotten a new virus...
[...]
>I have found out that the naught code resides withing my desktop file.
>Everytime I rebuild, my text appears normal--for awhile. Then, wham-o,
>back to mixup time.  I haven't been able to isolate when exactly or what
>I'm running when it happens...

Gatekeeper Aid is supposed to stop any executable resources from being put into
the Desktop.  (So is Disinfectant Init.) Are you using either one? If so, we
have a true problem; if not, get them, and you'll probably be OK.

	Francis Stracke
	My opinions are my own; I don't steal them from the Department.