[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How do I get creator strings assigned to me?

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (09/14/90)

I am developing an application that will eventually be distributed
widely.  This application relies on file types.  How can I get one or
several file types assigned to my application and it's files?  I guess
I have to register them with Apple Development or something.  Can
anyone provide details on the process for doing this?

ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Yo... John!                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611
PROJECT:       The Conrail Locomotive/Harpsichord Fusion Program

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (09/14/90)

In article <9159@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) writes:

>I am developing an application that will eventually be distributed
>widely.  This application relies on file types.  How can I get one or
>several file types assigned to my application and it's files?  I guess
>I have to register them with Apple Development or something.  Can
>anyone provide details on the process for doing this?

As I recall, you need to register them with Apple's Developer Tech Support
group.  They'll probably also tell you if those types are already used.
You should be able to get in touch with them at macdts@apple.com...

steve

 whoami?     Steve Christensen
 snail:      Apple Computer, 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-81CS, Cupertino, CA  95014
 Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
 AppleLink:  stevec
 CompuServe: 76174,1712

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (09/14/90)

It's always seemed to me that there must be a better way to get
file types and resource types than asking Apple.

How about some sort of algorithmic method to generate them?
For example, let's make the assumption that the only people
who deserve to own file types, creator types, and resource
types are people who own a Macintosh.

From the serial number of the Mac, a number is derived.  This
number would be 1 for the first Macintosh produced, 2 for
the second, and so on (serial numbers on the backs of the
machines have some other information in them, so Apple would
have to tell us how to map serial number to a manufacturing
order count).

The person who owns Mac #N is allowed to use types

	(N<<4) + i,	0 <= i <= 15

An alternative approach, which assumes that people who need
to define types should have AppleLink accounts, would assign
to the owner of AppleLink account Dnnnn type of the form

	(nnnn << 16) + i,	0 <= i <= 256

					Tim Smith

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (09/14/90)

It's right there in IM-III in black and white, with the occasional coffee
stain.

Write to

Macintosh Technical Support
Mail Stop 3-T
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Avenue
Cupertino, CA 95014

Tell them the application signatures and the file types you want to
register, and they'll say "OK" or maybe "no, pick some others."

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

jwwalker@usceast.UUCP (Jim Walker) (09/15/90)

In article <33880@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>It's always seemed to me that there must be a better way to get
>file types and resource types than asking Apple.
>
>How about some sort of algorithmic method to generate them?
[stuff deleted]
>An alternative approach, which assumes that people who need
>to define types should have AppleLink accounts, would assign
[stuff deleted]
>					Tim Smith

Please don't make that assumption!  I have registered creator types for two
freeware programs, and I assuredly don't have an Applelink account.

An advantage of the current approach is that file types and creators can
often be mnemonic.  Apple's original idea, of course, had been that users
would never see these codes, but now it isn't necessarily so.
--

   Jim Walker  jwwalker@cs.scarolina.edu  76367.2271@compuserve.com

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/25/90)

In article <33880@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>It's always seemed to me that there must be a better way to get
>file types and resource types than asking Apple.
>
>How about some sort of algorithmic method to generate them?

Problem: at least some people would screw up, & overlap the types of somebody
else.  There is a hidden advantage to Apple's system, anyway: if you have a
file, & you don't know what created it, it is at least theoretically possible
to find out, provided that the creator is registered.

I don't think I like your attitude about only Mac owners deserving file types.
Many of us low-budget types (e.g., STUDENTS, dammit!) can't afford a Mac, but
can do good things with other people's machines.  Besides, your idea of setting
aside a certain # of types for each machine wastes the types that would belong
to people who don't program (the vast majority).

	Francis Stracke
	I don't represent anybody.