[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Constant width lines on LaserWriter

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (09/27/90)

A while back I asked if there was a way to get constant width lines on the
LaserWriter.  I was using PostScript in PicComments along with QuickDraw.

Sean Parent told me about a better way that is more compatible.  You can use
the polySmooth picComment described in Tech Note #91.  It will not only give
you constant width lines, but it will also improve the mitering at line joins.
This method should work with the LaserWriter SC, unlike embedded PostScript.
(I haven't tried it on an SC though.)

(QuickDraw draws diagonal lines thicker because it uses a square pen.  I use
the term constant width lines to mean lines that are as wide as they should
be - as if you used a circular pen.)

Hope this helps some of you.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (09/27/90)

In article <7741@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim)
writes:
> You can use
> the polySmooth picComment described in Tech Note #91.  It will not only
> give you constant width lines, but it will also improve the mitering at
> line joins. This method should work with the LaserWriter SC, unlike
> embedded PostScript.  (I haven't tried it on an SC though.)

Unfortunately, the current incarnation of the LaserWriter IISC software
ignores the polySmooth picComment.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!