[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Programming for 7.0

news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU (09/24/90)

I have written programs for the Mac using IM vols. 1-4. Are there going to
be radically new manuals for System 7.0, so that I should wait for them
before writing any more software, or, if I don't want my pograms to do
anything the present sytem can't do (I'm not interested in IAC), is it
ok to go on using IM?  Thanks.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep24.021916.16737@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
>I have written programs for the Mac using IM vols. 1-4. Are there going to
>be radically new manuals for System 7.0, so that I should wait for them
>before writing any more software, or, if I don't want my pograms to do
>anything the present sytem can't do (I'm not interested in IAC), is it
>ok to go on using IM?  Thanks.

  Inside Mac Vol. 6 covers System 7.0.

  As before, if you follow the compatibility guidelines you will be O.K.
under System 7.  I'm running System 7 right now and NOTHING which I'm
running takes it into account specifically except StuffIt Classic.

  IMHO, "not being interested in IAC" isn't enough justification for not
supporting it.  Every action your user takes should be supported via
AppleEvents, and your program should send those events to itself when the
user chooses a menu item.  If you do not do this, you will be cutting
yourself out of AppleScript scripting language when it arrives, and your
program will either have to be revised or no longer be used.

  Note that "I'm not able to get ahold of System 7.0 because it's
unreleased" IS a good excuse for not implementing AppleEvents, and that's
the situation I suspect you're in.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

c60b-4ah@e260-2c.berkeley.edu (Phantom) (09/25/90)

I have seen an online version of IM vol six.  It is a VERY large hypercard
stack.  I do not remember its actual size or where I saw it.  I only
remember that the file I actually saw was somewhat corrupt, so that after
the backgroud and first card was on the screen, HC displayed an error and
resused to continue.

Although this may be disappointing to some programmers, I believe that if
one strictly adheres to certain guidelines specified in IM 1-5, the code
he or she writes should survive system 7.0.

rdclark@Apple.COM (Richard Clark) (09/25/90)

news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:

>I have written programs for the Mac using IM vols. 1-4. Are there going to
>be radically new manuals for System 7.0, so that I should wait for them
>before writing any more software, or, if I don't want my pograms to do
>anything the present sytem can't do (I'm not interested in IAC), is it
>ok to go on using IM?  Thanks.

The vast majority of applications written prior to System 7 still run fine
under 7.0. The things you *must* do are these:
  1) Support MultiFinder. That means checking for (and using) WaitNextEvent,
     giving away time whenever possible, and handling Suspend/Resume events.
     Programs which don;t do this still run, but slow down the rest of the
     system.

  2) Follow the DTS compatibility guidelines, as described in gory detail in
     the Tech Notes. Be especially careful that your application is "32-bit
     clean", as you could prevent the use of Virtual Memory if you aren't.

  Hope this helps.

...Richard Clark
   Instructor/Course Designer (and System 7 Training Menager)
   Developer University
   Apple Computer, Inc.
--
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
Richard Clark                | "If you don't know where you're going,

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep24.021916.16737@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU writes:
>I have written programs for the Mac using IM vols. 1-4. Are there going to
>be radically new manuals for System 7.0, so that I should wait for them
>before writing any more software, or, if I don't want my pograms to do
>anything the present sytem can't do (I'm not interested in IAC), is it
>ok to go on using IM?  Thanks.

As when Apple came out with the Plus/XE/whatever (and made IM IV), and then
the SE and II (and made IM V--which you definitely should have), they're
now working on IM VI, which will be here Real Soon Now (I presume, right
after 7.0, which, of course, is only a year overdue).