[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Pascal

Mark.Wang@f2811.n206.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Wang) (07/06/89)

I have written a program in pascal that runs on three computers
simultaneously.  I want to sincronize all three computers through a
network.  Does anyone know how to send messages through the modem port
(device) using pascal?

--
Mark Wang via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!206!2811!Mark.Wang

ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) (09/09/90)

Does anyone know how one can write some Pascal on the Mac, say in Turbo,
and then save the file, and take it to an IBM and compile it in Turbo,
there?

When I saved the file last time, it seemed to insert a bunch of
characters in the IBM file, and lost all the formatting...

Peter N. Handrinos                                          ph1c@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University         Graduate School of Industrial Administration
     "All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars"

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/27/90)

In article <UauGPe200WBKQ0yrdS@andrew.cmu.edu> ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) writes:
>Does anyone know how one can write some Pascal on the Mac, say in Turbo,
>and then save the file, and take it to an IBM and compile it in Turbo,
>there?
>
>When I saved the file last time, it seemed to insert a bunch of
>characters in the IBM file, and lost all the formatting...

I don't know what Turbo does with formatting; what I would do, if I were
you, would be to Copy your text, then go to a word processor & Paste in,
then save it as straight ASCII.  I'm not sure what (if anything) will be lost,
but you shouldn't get any weird chars inserted, anyway.

nayeri@cs.umass.edu (Farshad Nayeri) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.234745.18987@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

   In article <UauGPe200WBKQ0yrdS@andrew.cmu.edu> ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) writes:
   >Does anyone know how one can write some Pascal on the Mac, say in Turbo,
   >and then save the file, and take it to an IBM and compile it in Turbo,
   >there?
   >
   >When I saved the file last time, it seemed to insert a bunch of
   >characters in the IBM file, and lost all the formatting...

   I don't know what Turbo does with formatting; what I would do, if I were
   you, would be to Copy your text, then go to a word processor & Paste in,
   then save it as straight ASCII.  I'm not sure what (if anything) will be lost,
   but you shouldn't get any weird chars inserted, anyway.

I think the problem is that PC Turbo Pascal does not use hard-tabs in its
indenting (I think it uses spaces, but it looks like you are tabbing.). This
would be ok, except if you are reading code from a different editor that uses
hard-tabs (e.g., Turbo Pascal on the Mac, I think).
Formatting is lost because you have ^I's instead of jumps to the correct tab
positions. A simple substitution from ^Is to say eight tab positions will
help, only if you don't have spaces preceding tabs (Sorry, I don't remember the
key sequence in PC-TP... ).

And, these are all speculations, I haven't used turbo pascal in about 3 years,
and don't have one in reach right now.

--farshad
--
Farshad Nayeri                Object Oriented Systems Group
nayeri@cs.umass.edu           Dept. of Computer and Information Science