[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Simple Appletalk Communication

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (09/27/90)

I am currently working on a Macintosh application that I would like to run over
Appletalk. The goal is to have one "host" application which registers itself
on the network and which can then receive and send data packets to other
versions of the application running on other machines on the network.

I have perused Inside Mac and Inside Appletalk, but what I'd really love is
maybe a little sample code someone may have or a recommendation as to where
to start to best understand what needs to be done.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions...

--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|   Peter Commons			"Zut, alors! I have meesed one!!!"    |

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.193156.1919@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

> I am currently working on a Macintosh application that I would like to run over
> Appletalk. The goal is to have one "host" application which registers itself
> on the network and which can then receive and send data packets to other
> versions of the application running on other machines on the network.
>
> I have perused Inside Mac and Inside Appletalk, but what I'd really love is
> maybe a little sample code someone may have or a recommendation as to where
> to start to best understand what needs to be done.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions...

How much data do you expect to be sending around?  If it's small, look
at using ATP.  ATP is fairly simple and provides a straightforward
ask-for-data/get-data-back model.

If you're sending more data look at ADSP.  It provides a very nice data
pipeline between two programs, but does require a little more overhead
(more buffer space).   [You'll need to get the latest docs on this
found in Inside Mac Vol VI]

Good luck!

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554