[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK Pascal history

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.214559.16181@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>THINK Pascal (LSP) is descended from Mac Pascal, the first (2nd?) Mac language.
>Mac Pascal originated the pretty-printing; LSP inherited it, apparently to
>punish us.  LSC is not actually related to LSP; it predates Symantec's
>acquisition of the latter (question: anybody know how that came about?).  There
>was never any pretty-printing in LSC; it wasn't taken out.

	Close, but not quite. :-) Here's the history, in approximate
	chronological order:

	Macintosh Pascal was the first high-level language implementation
	which ran on a Mac.

	Macintosh Pascal begat Lightspeed Pascal (trivia question:
	in early fliers, what was Lightspeed Pascal called?)

	LightspeedC and Lightspeed Pascal were released, within months
	of one another.

	Lightspeed, Inc., makers of the Lightspeed Color Layout System,
	took exception to THINK Technologies' use of the name "Lightspeed"
	in the products. As a result, the product names went through a
	gradual change:

	LightspeedC became THINK's LightspeedC, and then became THINK C.
	Lightspeed Pascal became THINK's Lightspeed Pascal, and then
	became THINK Pascal.

Neither product was "acquired" separately by Symantec; THINK Technologies,
however, became part of Symantec.

The pretty-printer in THINK Pascal is not an ancillary feature; it's
a direct side-effect of the architecture of the product.

(p.s. Macintosh Pascal, the interpreter, is still alive and kicking.)

R.
 Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu	UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

If you have telekinetic powers, raise my hand.

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (09/27/90)

In article <4269@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>	Macintosh Pascal begat Lightspeed Pascal (trivia question:
>	in early fliers, what was Lightspeed Pascal called?)

I'm going to take a shot.  I could be wrong, but something way in the
back of my head says "QuickSilver."

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/27/90)

First of all: apologies to all I've managed to offend in the past 2 days.
I'll calm down from here on.

In article <4269@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
[My version of the LightSpeed geneology]
>	Close, but not quite. :-) Here's the history, in approximate
>	chronological order:
[...]

>	Macintosh Pascal begat Lightspeed Pascal (trivia question:
>	in early fliers, what was Lightspeed Pascal called?)

Thanks for the correction (I was just going by when I saw LSP and LSC appear).
The thing I've been curious about is how this begatting came about.

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |