[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Where is the SCSI icon?

kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) (09/26/90)

Where does the Mac keep the icons for the hard disk? I've searched
every file in my system folder with ResEdit but I can't find it. Nor does
it seem to be in the destop file (not that I expected it to be). Can
anyone help?

Thanks,
    -Ken K
--
Ken Konecki
"Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"

allanh@netcom.UUCP (Allan N. Hessenflow) (09/26/90)

In article <3928@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
> Where does the Mac keep the icons for the hard disk? I've searched

It's in the SCSI driver for that disk, which is on the disk before the file
system.  There will be a copy of the driver in the formatter/installer for
that drive, but it's very unlikely that the icon would be in its own resource,
so searching for it could be tough.  I've seen an init out there somewhere
that changes the icon; I assume it does this by calling the driver to get
a pointer to the icon and then copies the new icon on top of it.

allan

--
Allan N. Hessenflow   {apple|claris}!netcom!allanh    allanh@netcom.uucp

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (09/26/90)

Konecki) writes:
> > Where does the Mac keep the icons for the hard disk?
> It's in the SCSI driver for that disk [...]
> [...] I've seen an init out there somewhere
> that changes the icon; I assume it does this by calling the driver to get
> a pointer to the icon and then copies the new icon on top of it.

Almost right.  Facade (which I wrote) intercepts the Finder's (or anyone
else's) _Control call to the driver to ask for the icon, and then lies to
the caller.   Facade keeps a dictionary of icons (keyed by name), and
points to the appropriate icon data in the dictionary depending on the
name of the volume being queried.

Greg Marriott
Just Some Guy
Apple Computer, Inc.

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (09/27/90)

In article <3928@tellab5.tellabs.com> kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
>Where does the Mac keep the icons for the hard disk? I've searched
>every file in my system folder with ResEdit but I can't find it. Nor does
>it seem to be in the destop file (not that I expected it to be). Can
>anyone help?

IM IV (I think) says it's provided by the driver.  In other words, you have to
patch the driver or something to change the icon.  Fortunately, somebody
(Greg Marriott of Apple, I think) has done this already, in a neat program
called Facade.  Stick Facade into your system, and ResEdit it: it will read the
name of your HD, look for an ICON with that name, and use it if found.

I don't know how to get Facade legally.

Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au (Peter Lewis) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep26.235116.19112@midway.uchicago.edu>, francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
> In article <3928@tellab5.tellabs.com> kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
>>Where does the Mac keep the icons for the hard disk?
>
> IM IV (I think) says it's provided by the driver.  In other words, you have to
> patch the driver or something to change the icon.  Fortunately, somebody
> (Greg Marriott of Apple, I think) has done this already, in a neat program
> called Facade.  Stick Facade into your system, and ResEdit it: it will read the
> name of your HD, look for an ICON with that name, and use it if found.
>
> I don't know how to get Facade legally.

Facade is available on Info-Mac (or any of its shadows).  Its can be FTPed
from Ditmela.Oz.Au, as info-mac/init/facade-101.hqx.  It is a very neat
program!

HTH,
   Peter.

Disclaimer:Curtin & I have an agreement:Neither of us listen to either of us.
*-------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+-------*
Internet: Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au              I Peter Lewis
ACSnet: Lewis_P@cc.cut.oz.au                    I NCRPDA, Curtin University
Bitnet: Lewis_P%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet  I GPO Box U1987
UUCP: uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!Lewis_P I Perth, WA, 6001, AUSTRALIA

Greg@AppleLink.apple.com (Greg Marriott) (09/28/90)

In article <3773.270310d6@cc.curtin.edu.au> Lewis_P@cc.curtin.edu.au
(Peter Lewis) writes:
> Facade is available on Info-Mac (or any of its shadows).  Its can
> be FTPed from Ditmela.Oz.Au, as info-mac/init/facade-101.hqx.  It
> is a very neat program!

Thank you.  :)

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie