[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Me Too! Re: Simple Appletalk Communication

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.193156.1919@Neon.Stanford.EDU> commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

>I am currently working on a Macintosh application that I would like to run over
>Appletalk. The goal is to have one "host" application which registers itself
>on the network and which can then receive and send data packets to other
>versions of the application running on other machines on the network.
>
>I have perused Inside Mac and Inside Appletalk, but what I'd really love is
>maybe a little sample code someone may have or a recommendation as to where
>to start to best understand what needs to be done.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions...

Me too! I got a program running that would recognize other machines on
appletalk running the same program... Sending packets using ATP is a bit
harder....

Please send me code too... Thanks!

Niko Schuessler               "On a two semester mission to engineer where
niko@iastate.edu               no-one has engineered before.... :-) "

chewy@apple.com (Paul Snively) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep26.235344.8148@news.iastate.edu>
niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
> In article <1990Sep26.193156.1919@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

> >I am currently working on a Macintosh application that I would like to
run over
> >Appletalk. The goal is to have one "host" application which registers
itself
> >on the network and which can then receive and send data packets to
other
> >versions of the application running on other machines on the network.
> >
> >I have perused Inside Mac and Inside Appletalk, but what I'd really
love is
> >maybe a little sample code someone may have or a recommendation as to
where
> >to start to best understand what needs to be done.
> >
> >Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions...
> >
> Me too! I got a program running that would recognize other machines on
> appletalk running the same program... Sending packets using ATP is a bit
> harder....

From the quoted portion of the post I'm quoting, it would seem that what
you are both really interested in is peer-to-peer datastream
communications.  If that is the case, I'd recommend taking a look at ADSP
rather than ATP.

FTP to apple.com and dig around pub/dts/mac/sc; there should be some ADSP
stuff up there.  (If you have other Apple DTS sample code sources, such as
the CD-ROM, then look there as well).

                                Paul Snively
                      Macintosh Developer Technical Support
                             Apple Computer, Inc.

chewy@apple.com

Just because I work for Apple Computer, Inc. doesn't mean that I believe
what they believe, or vice-versa.

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep26.235344.8148@news.iastate.edu>
niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) writes:
> In article <1990Sep26.193156.1919@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) writes:

> >I am currently working on a Macintosh application that I would like to
run over
> >Appletalk. The goal is to have one "host" application which registers
itself
> >on the network and which can then receive and send data packets to
other
> >versions of the application running on other machines on the network.
> >
> >I have perused Inside Mac and Inside Appletalk, but what I'd really
love is
> >maybe a little sample code someone may have or a recommendation as to
where
> >to start to best understand what needs to be done.

A good source of example code on how to interface to AppleTalk can be
found inthe HyperCard AppleTalk Toolkit (or HyperAppleTalk).  It
comes with source for XCMDs which interface to the AppleTalk calls
which can easily be adapted to standard Mac applications.  It is
available from APDA for about $25.

Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center