[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Inside Mac VI

wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) (09/11/90)

Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of
Inside Mac VI (the new one). Is apple selling them?

Thanks a lot!

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep11.115901.7741@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of
>Inside Mac VI (the new one). Is apple selling them?
>
>Thanks a lot!

As far as I know, Apple has not finalized Inside Mac VI.  It's still being
revised. A draft copy is available on the System 7.0a9 CD-ROM.  Be prepared
for a ton of printing (about 1500 pages).

Tom
--
Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/12/90)

The preliminary version of IM V6 should be available from APDA.
It was handed out to all registered developers at the May
developers conference.

David

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/12/90)

------
In article <44701@apple.Apple.COM>, das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes...

>The preliminary version of IM V6 should be available from APDA.
>It was handed out to all registered developers at the May
>developers conference.
>
>David

Nope.  Just called APDA and they said the IM VI was not available for purchase,
but if I knew an Apple Partner I could get it from them.

This seems kind of weenie.  Preliminary docs were given to developers over a
year ago. Surely IM VI can't include non-disclosure info, and the interfaces
must be fairly finalized by now.

The main reason to be an APDA member -- as opposed to buying thru Developer
Tools Express or whatever -- is to get ahold of preliminary tools and
information.  IM VI would seem to be: a) in a sufficiently late stage of
development (since System 7.0 is going to be out soon) to be released to
interested developers who are not of Partner status, and b) of no small
importance to those of us who wish to take advantage of System 7.0.

It's fine by me if only Partners get hardware discounts, direct access to DTS
(of course all us netters do too, thanks to hard-working DTS netfolk! :->),
non-disclosure info, etc.  It's not real cool if only they -- and not APDA
members -- should get access to fairly important, fairly basic preliminary
info.

Hey, it's not _that_ big a deal, but as I said, it seems kind of weenie.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (09/12/90)

In article <44701@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>The preliminary version of IM V6 should be available from APDA.
>It was handed out to all registered developers at the May
>developers conference.
>
>David

Sorry, but Inside Macintosh Volume VI is NOT available from APDA.  Inside
Macintosh Volume VI has only been made available to Apple Partners, who were
also seeded with the Alpha System 7.0 software.  There are currently no
plans to make Inside Macintosh Volume VI available through APDA before System
7.0 final ships.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

wlj1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Wayne L Jebian) (09/12/90)

Since we are flaming Apple, I'll light mine too.

I WANT MY IM VI!

Perhaps apple is loath to distribute a vaporware manual for
it's vaporware system software?

flame off.

Seriously, though:	Anyone willing to give out info on AppleEvents &c.
is urged to mail me all they have.

-Wayne
President, Developers in the Dark.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/12/90)

>Sorry, but Inside Macintosh Volume VI is NOT available from APDA.

Sorry, I'm wrong, you can't get IM 6 from APDA.  Don't blame me for their
policies, I just work here.

David

rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) (09/13/90)

Inside Macintosh has not been released yet.  I called the APDA and the
release date is not until January, which was supposivly announced about
a week ago.  Sigh.

Rich

                        Carnegie Mellon University
  Generating an Amalgam of Real-time, Novel Editors and Toolkits(GARNET)
                   -----------------------------------
  Richard Chung             rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu     (412) 268-4934 (s)
  Box 1539                  rlc+@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu     (412) 268-6736 (w)
  1060 Morewood Ave         q100rc2o@vb.cc.cmu.edu    (412) 268-7565 (w)
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213                             (609) 683-9531 (h)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/14/90)

So what is in IM VI that us dweebs shouldn't see -- the Notification
Manager. Does it relate to System 7.0 mostly or does it fill in all that
has happened since IM V was published in 1988 (Mac IIx, SE/30, Portable,
IIcx, IIci, IIfx). I'd rather have it in a book than to be forever
playing with TNs.

So what gives? 1500 pages of what?

Kevin Purcell             | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science Centre    |
Liverpool University      | Omit needless words.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/15/90)

In article <90256.234629KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:
>So what is in IM VI that us dweebs shouldn't see -- the Notification
>Manager. Does it relate to System 7.0 mostly or does it fill in all that
>has happened since IM V was published in 1988 (Mac IIx, SE/30, Portable,
>IIcx, IIci, IIfx). I'd rather have it in a book than to be forever
>playing with TNs.
>
>So what gives? 1500 pages of what?

  1500 pages of extremely mutable System 7 documentation, some of which
contains code segments which are buggy and some of which information is just
plain wrong.  Not to mention that it doesn't even, at this point, contain
documentation on some basic System 7 stuff like AppleEvents.

-- Mark Wilkins

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (09/15/90)

In article <8384@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (me)
spouted off:
>  1500 pages of extremely mutable System 7 documentation, some of which
>contains code segments which are buggy and some of which information is just
>plain wrong.  Not to mention that it doesn't even, at this point, contain
>documentation on some basic System 7 stuff like AppleEvents.
>
>-- Mark Wilkins

  In case I gave the wrong impression, Inside Mac VI is really a wonderful
piece of documentation, especially the HyperCard version.

  I meant these not-so-positive comments to explain only why IM VI cannot
be publicly released now even though the features of System 7 are extremely
well known and not, in and of themselves, confidential.

-- Mark Wilkins

ishtar@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chia-Ming Wang) (09/17/90)

Speaking of Mac Volumes, does anybody have a copy of Mac Tech Note 120
that they could e-mail to me (legally)? Thanks.

-CMW
 ishtar@portia

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu (09/26/90)

Bernard Gallet's excellent DA "Inside Mac DA" has recently been brought
up to date to include Vol.V. Is anybody working on a Vol.VI module? Quite
frankly, I find this DA more useful than the printed volumes.

Cheers,

Eric.

|       Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84112      |
|                          (801) 581-3592                          |
|                     kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu                   |
| -- The University of Utah is blameless for anything I've said -- |
|__________________________________________________________________|

pierre@iti.org (Pierre Omidyar) (09/27/90)

rc2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Lee Chung) writes:

>Inside Macintosh has not been released yet.  I called the APDA and the
>release date is not until January, which was supposivly announced about
>a week ago.  Sigh.

Certified developers have received early drafts of IM VI in HyperCard stack
form on a variety of Developer CD's.  I'm not sure what Apple's
restrictions on its distribution are, but you could probably find someone
who would let you take a peek...

--
Pierre Omidyar         {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!pierre
Claris Corporation     pierre@claris.com  Opinions are mine and not Claris'

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu (09/28/90)

I'm afraid that I lied. My version of InsideMac DA is only current through
vol.IV, not V as I had stated yesterday. Sorry about the confusion.

The question is the same, however: Is anyone working on a version incorporating
the new material?

cory@howtek.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (10/03/90)

In article <95795@cc.utah.edu> KOFOID@cc.utah.edu writes:
>Bernard Gallet's excellent DA "Inside Mac DA" has recently been brought
>up to date to include Vol.V. Is anybody working on a Vol.VI module? Quite
>frankly, I find this DA more useful than the printed volumes.

Apple has a new feature in MPW currently called "411".  It gives access
from within MPW to Inside Mac I-VI, Technotes, & MacApp Docs.  You can
do keyword searches, or it will show you what is defined for a particular
header file.  It will also insert the form of a function call into your
code for you.

The only problem is that it needs about 13 MB of disk space.  Other than
that, very nicely done.

It is available only via the ETO disk (via APDA)
+C