[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Another C++/MacApp question

sgrae@megatest.UUCP (Steve Graesser) (10/03/90)

From article <10486@goofy.Apple.COM>, by lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein):
> mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) writes:
>
>>Is there ANY way to speed things along besides turning on the RAM disk
>>cache? It looks like most of the time is spent in CFront processing all
>>those .h files. Will the dump/load mechanism work here, and if so, can you
>
> There is a dump-load mechanism for C++.  But that version of C++ is
> currently only available on the ETO CD-ROM.  The MacApp make files support
> dump/load (for the MacApp headers) automatically.

Can C++(v3.1b) (MPW C v3.1) be used with MacApp(V2.0) without
requiring the Object Pascel compiler?

It has been rumored that MPW v3.2 and C++ v3.1 final
will work with MacApp (v2.0) w/o the Object Pascal compiler.

And another thing, Has the C++/MacApp programming book
by the instructor at Apple U (Wilson?) been published yet?

Inquiring minds want to know!

--
Steve Graesser		{decwrl | amdcad}!megatest.uucp!sgrae
Megatest Corp.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (10/04/90)

In article <14100@nissan.megatest.UUCP>, sgrae@megatest.UUCP (Steve Graesser) writes:

> >From article <10486@goofy.Apple.COM>, by lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein):
> > mkb@rover.ri.cmu.edu (Mike Blackwell) writes:
>
> And another thing, Has the C++/MacApp programming book
> by the instructor at Apple U (Wilson?) been published yet?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know!

Yes, Dave Wilson (together with Larry Rosenstein & San Shafer) have
two MacApp books out: Programming with MacApp and C++ Programming
with MacApp.

Both books can be purchased with a companion disk containing the example
code.  Very helpful.

Nice going Dave (and Larry & Dan)!

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/04/90)

In article <14100@nissan.megatest.UUCP> sgrae@megatest.UUCP (Steve Graesser) writes:
>Can C++(v3.1b) (MPW C v3.1) be used with MacApp(V2.0) without
>requiring the Object Pascel compiler?
>
>It has been rumored that MPW v3.2 and C++ v3.1 final
>will work with MacApp (v2.0) w/o the Object Pascal compiler.

You can use MacApp 2.0 without the Pascal compiler (or even the
assembler, though some parts of MacApp are in assembly) if you don't
need to create a configuration of MacApp different from the standard
set. I think that if you order the floppy version of MacApp, you get
pre-compiled debug and non-debug libraries. If you order the CD-ROM
version, you get 26 pre-compiled configurations.

You don't nee d to wait for MPW 3.2. You can use the existing MPW 3.1
and C++ compiler.

By the way, I wanted to point out a "deal". Look at the outlay for what
you want:

MPW Shell	$150	(MPW Shell, Tools, and scripts)
MPW C		$150	(C compiler, libraries, and headers)
MPW C++		$175	(comes with C++ and an hourglass)
MacApp 2.0	$275	(comes with CD-ROM and floppy version, 5 manuals)
Total		$750

Or, you could go this route:

MPW C Bundle    $400    (comes with MPW Shell and C pacakges, as well
			 as the MPW Assembler, SADE, Macsbug & ResEdit)
MPW C++         $175    (comes with C++ and an hourglass)
MacApp 2.0      $275    (comes with CD-ROM and floppy version, 5 manuals)
(Essential - Tools - Objects), which includes all of the above, as well
as MPW Pascal, beta versions of MPW (3.2), SADE (1.2), Macsbug (6.2),
ResEdit (2.0), as well as experimental MacApp tools (like CRC Cards and
tear-off menus with floating windows), and 411 - Inside Macs I-V in MPW
accessible form.  Also included is all of the Developer Essentials,
which includes SpInside Mac (the stack version of Inside Mac),
Macintosh Technotes, Macintosh DTS Sample Code, Q & A stack, electronic
copies of "develop" - our technical magazine, every version of our
System Disks and HyperCard ever made, etc. Full documentation for all
of the above is also provided. The annual subscription gets you 4
issues of E.T.O. a year in CD-ROM format, guaranteeing that you are
never more than 3 months out of date with what we have here at Apple.
If you already have some of the pieces I listed above, you don't have
to pay the full $995; you just pay for the difference. After you have
all the parts, annual subscription is $300.  Contact APDA for details.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (10/06/90)

In article <14100@nissan.megatest.UUCP> sgrae@megatest.UUCP (Steve Graesser) writes:
>From article <10486@goofy.Apple.COM>, by lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein):
>Can C++(v3.1b) (MPW C v3.1) be used with MacApp(V2.0) without
>requiring the Object Pascel compiler?

No.  Something has to compile the MacApp source.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (10/08/90)

In article <247@farcomp.UUCP> murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) writes:
>In article <14100@nissan.megatest.UUCP> sgrae@megatest.UUCP (Steve Graesser) writes:
>>Can C++(v3.1b) (MPW C v3.1) be used with MacApp(V2.0) without
>>requiring the Object Pascel compiler?
>
>No.  Something has to compile the MacApp source.

The MacApp source comes compiled in 2 configurations on the floppy
version, and 26 versions on the CD version. If those are fine with you,
then you do NOT need MPW Pascal or the assembler.