[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Bitmap-only PICT resource

strasser@psych.psy.uq.oz.au (Michael Strasser) (10/11/90)

I want to create a PICT resource for a splash screen and about... dialog
which contains text as a bitmap.  I want to do this so it can be shown on
any Mac, regardless of which fonts are installed.

I've tried pasting a PICT image from SuperPaint, both directly and through
the Scrapbook, but each time the text is stored as text with its font etc.

Please mail any replies to me as news items expire very quickly here.

Mike Strasser
Psych Dept, Uni of Qld.

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (10/13/90)

In article <504@psych.psy.uq.oz.au>, strasser@psych.psy.uq.oz.au (Michael Strasser) writes:

> I want to create a PICT resource for a splash screen and about... dialog
> which contains text as a bitmap.  I want to do this so it can be shown on
> any Mac, regardless of which fonts are installed.
>
> I've tried pasting a PICT image from SuperPaint, both directly and through
> the Scrapbook, but each time the text is stored as text with its font etc.
>
> Please mail any replies to me as news items expire very quickly here.

I'm not a SuperPaint user, but both MacPaint and even HyperCard will
do what you want.

Another trick to save space is to break your bit map into small chucks
and cut them out individually then composite them in MacDraw (or
equivalent).  This can sometimes save a fair amount of memory (remember
to command-select to get the minimum size bitmap).

Another related trick is to color the "white bits" transparent in
MacDraw II. This can be helpful if there is something overlapping your
picture (say a button in a dialog).

And one last one, you can "colorize" your bitmaps in MacDraw II.
These colors are old style colors so they revert back to black
on non color quickdraw machines.  This is often good, though not always.

-- michael peirce

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (10/15/90)

It has been a very long time since I have used SuperPaint, but the essence
is this:

You have to go into the drawing layer and select the stuff you want in the
picture.  Then copy it to the painting layer.  I think this is pretzel-E.
Then go to the painting layer, select it with the marquee, and copy it.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (10/16/90)

> I want to create a PICT resource for a splash screen and about... dialog
> which contains text as a bitmap.  I want to do this so it can be shown on
> any Mac, regardless of which fonts are installed.
>
> I've tried pasting a PICT image from SuperPaint, both directly and through
> the Scrapbook, but each time the text is stored as text with its font etc.
>
> Please mail any replies to me as news items expire very quickly here.
>
> Mike Strasser
> Psych Dept, Uni of Qld.

If you really want the bitmap of the text stored, you should be able to "Copy
to painting" from the draw layer. Everything in the paint layer is bitmaps.

Then Copy the paint stuff to the cli should work (untested).

Scott Bayes
"Don't panic. It's all just 1s and 0s"