[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Think C 4.0 vs Think C 3.0

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (10/23/90)

I have an old copy of Think C (version 3.0) lying around, and I guess
maybe it's time to upgrade it to version 4.  Can someone tell me what
the major differences between version 3 and version 4 are?

Thanks,

Ted
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (10/25/90)

In article <TWL.90Oct22141109@boojum.cs.brown.edu> twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) writes:
>Can someone tell me what
>the major differences between version 3 and version 4 are?

Think C 4 adds compiler support for a single-inheritance subset of C++.
If you use the appropriate compatibility .h file, and stay away from
unsupported features of C++ (operator overloading, inline functions)
you can write programs that are really object oriented (have inheritance,
and polymorphic procedures) in THINKC4 and compile them under a standard
C++ compiler. Think C 4 also includes a large class library and much useful
source code including the source for a complete paint program with floating
palette windows.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - Note new signature. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (10/30/90)

> I have an old copy of Think C (version 3.0) lying around, and I guess
> maybe it's time to upgrade it to version 4.  Can someone tell me what
> the major differences between version 3 and version 4 are?

The new version is almost ANSI C.  it supports OOP extensions very
like OO Pascal as well.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org