[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Best C compiler for the mac

msw@polyslo.Sun.COM (Michael Walker) (11/01/90)

I've just gotten myself a new Mac Classic with the 2mb ram and
a 40mb hard drive.  I would like to do some C programming on
here and am looking for what people think the best C compiler
for the Mac is.

If it helps I am comming from a UNIX(no flames-:)) environment
and am most familiar with that, also if there is a big difference
between prices on the compilers, that is an issue for me.

Thanx Much,
   _Mike_

ps.  Just reply directly to me, if there is an interest I will
     post a summary to the news group.

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (11/02/90)

In article <1885@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> msw@polyslo.Sun.COM (Michael Walker) writes:

>I've just gotten myself a new Mac Classic with the 2mb ram and
>a 40mb hard drive.  I would like to do some C programming on
>here and am looking for what people think the best C compiler
>for the Mac is.
>
>If it helps I am comming from a UNIX(no flames-:)) environment
>and am most familiar with that, also if there is a big difference
>between prices on the compilers, that is an issue for me.
>

>Thanx Much,
>   _Mike_
>

>ps.  Just reply directly to me, if there is an interest I will
>     post a summary to the news group.

Dear Mike -
  What do you mean by the "best C compiler" for the Macintosh?  Are we talking
about the size of code generated?  Or are we talking about the execution speed
of the code generated?  Are you interested in the differences in the
programming environments (MPW vs. Think)?
  If you are coming from a Unix background, you might be more comfortable with
MPW and the MPW C compiler.  You can buy the two of those for $300.00 from
APDA, 1-800-282-APDA.  I am the MPW Product Manager, so I do have some bias.
  On the other hand, you have the Think environment, which is very un-Unix
like, but has some very nice features in it.  It will be any where from $100
to $150 cheaper than the MPW setup I described, but it will be a less
flexible in many ways.
   Well, those are my inputs.  Remember my bias.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET