[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Apple's DAL ...

charalam@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Georghios Charalambous) (11/05/90)

I have a quick question:

Does anybody know whether DAL (Apple's connectivity language) supports
updates to a host database? I called Apple and they said it does. But
I also called Informix (I am using WingZ with Datalink on a MAC) and they
said that DAL does not support updates (they said Apple told them) but
their product Informix Net, does support updates.

Does anybody know for sure whether DAL supports updates or not?
Also, any additional comments/experiences about DAL and Informix Net,
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George

jsm@Apple.COM (Jeff Miller) (11/06/90)

In article <32270@netnews.upenn.edu> charalam@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Georghios Charalambous) writes:
>Does anybody know whether DAL (Apple's connectivity language) supports
>updates to a host database? I called Apple and they said it does. But

Yes, it supports updates.  Quoting from the DAL documentation on the UPDATE
statement: "Modifies data in one or more rows of a table based on row
selection criteria."  Sounds like updating a database to me.  You can add
and delete rows, too.

Jeff Miller
Macintosh System Software