[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Easy GUI accessible through Lightspeed C?

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (11/07/90)

-----
I am considering Lightspeed C for writing a Mac application.  I
am underimpressed with the standard Mac procedures for
manipulating a graphical interface.  What I would like is a set
of library calls that allow me to easily set up menus, permit the
user to manipulate icons and arcs between icons, enter text
boxes, push buttons, etc, without all the mess.  Ideally, the
interface would allow the declarative specification of what menus
are available, the icon set, and the text boxes associated with
icons, and would simply invoke the main program anytime a menu
selection was made or button pushed.  The iconic information
would simply be present in a global data structure.  Any
suggestions?  I would be interested even in something less than
the ideal as long as it was better than the standard tool box.

Russell

pharr-matthew@cs.yale.edu (Matthew Pharr) (11/07/90)

In article <14369@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>-----
>I am considering Lightspeed C for writing a Mac application.  I
>am underimpressed with the standard Mac procedures for
>manipulating a graphical interface.  What I would like is a set
>of library calls that allow me to easily set up menus, permit the
>user to manipulate icons and arcs between icons, enter text
>boxes, push buttons, etc, without all the mess.

Although I've only played with a demo version, there is a program called
Prototyper that lets you set up menus, windows, dialogs, alerts, etc, etc,
very quickly and easily. It then cranks out code in any of a number of
langauges, including Lightspeed C. It sounds like this solves your problem,
but someone who has used it a little more extensively than I could probably
give you a better answer...

Matt
Pharr-Matthew@Cs.Yale.Edu

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (11/08/90)

>In article <14369@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>>-----
>>I am considering Lightspeed C for writing a Mac application.  I
>>am underimpressed with the standard Mac procedures for
>>manipulating a graphical interface.  What I would like is a set
>>of library calls that allow me to easily set up menus, permit the
>>user to manipulate icons and arcs between icons, enter text
>>boxes, push buttons, etc, without all the mess.

Think C 4.0 (nee Lightspeed C) comes with the Think Class Library, a library
that takes advantage of ThC's object-oriented extensions to provide support
for all the basic stuff like menus, text boxes, buttons, &c.  You'd have to
learn their paradigms for oop and the TCL chain of command and stuff, but
that's relatively painless. Sorry, but you'll have to deal with arcs on your
own (probably through a subclass of one of the standard classes, so you can
inherit all their code).
--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.{UUCP,BITNET}