[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac IIsi Programmer's switch

twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung) (10/31/90)

I just read in MacWeek that their reviewers had trouble generating an
NMI from the keyboard using control-command-power.  I went down to the
computer store here and found the same trouble.  Command power seems
to work as a reset, but sometimes need a few extra kicks (presses) to
get a reset.  This sounds like a really bad idea for programming and
debugging.  Anybody out there with a IIsi that has experience using
the programmer's switch equivalents?
Internet/CSnet: twl@cs.brown.edu 	| Ted "Theodore" Leung
BITNET: twl@BROWNCS.BITNET		| Box 1910, Brown University
UUCP: uunet!brunix!twl			| Providence, RI 02912

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/01/90)

From article <TWL.90Oct30142642@boojum.cs.brown.edu>, by twl@cs.brown.edu (Ted "Theodore" W. Leung):
> I just read in MacWeek that their reviewers had trouble generating an
> NMI from the keyboard using control-command-power.  I went down to the
> computer store here and found the same trouble.  Command power seems
> to work as a reset, but sometimes need a few extra kicks (presses) to
> get a reset.  This sounds like a really bad idea for programming and
> debugging.  Anybody out there with a IIsi that has experience using
> the programmer's switch equivalents?

Having read this yesterday, I tried it on a hung program when I set up
my si last night.  It worked first time, every time.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (11/02/90)

The release notes for the IIsi say that you must hold down the key sequence
for at least 1 second to generate the NMI. Now that you know this, you
should find it more reliable.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - Note new signature. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) (11/02/90)

In article <21461@well.sf.ca.us> David Phillip Oster writes:
>The release notes for the IIsi say that you must hold down the key sequence
>for at least 1 second to generate the NMI. Now that you know this, you
>should find it more reliable.

AAhhh!  Oh well.  This shoots the iisi for me.  I'm a heavy user of macsbug
(SADE can't tell me what my variables are half the time, and half of the
rest of the time it can its wrong).  It's so convenient to be able to click
on your "Do something time intensive" button in your program and then break
into macsbug, confident that you dont have to change the current heap to
yours since multifinder doesn't get a chance to swap you out when your code
is to busy to call WaitNextEvent.

Having the NMI take 1 second shoots all of that.  Probably just a minor
anoyance to a few macsbug fans, but things like that really get me.

"The Switch is Dead: Long Live the Programmers Interrupt Switch" - JAF

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (11/10/90)

although the m6800 keyboard processor on the si generates an NMI after
1 second, if you install the "Programmer's Key" INIT, available on the apple
developer cd-roms, and from users groups, it will trigger at the next VBL.