[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Icon Help Needed

jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) (11/13/90)

  I have created several Applications using Think C.  The application has no
icons so I tryed adding a icon using Resedit.  Here is waht I did.  I created
a ICN#, and then Created BENL, and FREF.  But what am I doing wrong?  Can some
experts clue me in?

Thanks

John

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (11/13/90)

jg23+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Gray) writes:

>  I have created several Applications using Think C.  The application has no
>icons so I tryed adding a icon using Resedit.  Here is waht I did.  I created
>a ICN#, and then Created BENL, and FREF.  But what am I doing wrong?  Can some
>experts clue me in?

To have an icon show up in the Finder an application needs the following:

	ICN#	application's icon
	FREF	application's file references (usually none)
	BNDL	bundle listing the above two resources
	abcd	signature resource

The signature resource isn't literally of type "abcd", but its resource type
should be the same 4 character as the application's creator.  In this example,
your application would have a type of "APPL" and a creator of "abcd".  The
signature resource is typically a string containing the copyright notice for
your application.

You should also add another resource (although it's optional) of type "vers"
and resource ID=1.  This also specifies the version of your application, i.e.,
1.2b3.  ResEdit should have a template for vers resources.

The last thing you need to do is set the bundle bit for your application.  If
you're playing in ResEdit, selection your application and then select "Get
Info" from the menu.  One of the checkboxes should be labeled "bundle"; check
it.  If the "inited" checkbox is checked, uncheck it so the Finder will go
get your icon from your application's file.  If the icon still doesn't show
up, try re-booting and hold down the command and option keys so that the
Finder will rebuild the desktop...

steve

  whoami?     Steve Christensen
  snail:      Apple Computer, 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-81CS, Cupertino, CA 95035
  internet:   stevec@apple.com
  AppleLink:  stevec
  CompuServe: 76174,1712