[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac Programming Books...

david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org (david dmytryshyn) (04/27/89)

Recently, while looking at Macintosh Programming books, I seem to have
come to the rather unfortunate conclusion that most of them deal with
Pascal. (in fact I was unable to find one that had any C examples).  Does
anybody know of any which will facilitate my transition to Macintosh
Programming? (Authors and Titles please)  I'd also prefer books that have
been revised in the past year or two, so I'm not reading yesterdays news
today.

Thanks..

David..

                   - Signature Continued in Next Message -

--- FD 2.00
 * Origin: Computer Synapse - Neural Networking - Toronto (1:250/428)

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: david.dmytryshyn@f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!f428.n250.z1.fidonet.org!david.dmytryshyn

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (11/09/90)

Well, I've been doing a lot of Mac programming lately.  Mostly color games.
My question is this...
Where can I get a good book about doing _really_ fast color animation on the
Mac?  I mean faster than I can do by following all the instructions in TN 277.
I think "how to write macintosh software", scott knaster, hayden books is good
(but I don't know for sure).  Does anyone know where I could get this book?
APDA is _not_ an acceptable answer and I'm not going to dicuss why at this
time.  I would also prefer not to have to go through retail store either.

Any good mail/phone-order places for computer oriented books?

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (11/10/90)

In article <13541@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:
>Well, I've been doing a lot of Mac programming lately.  Mostly color games.
>I think "how to write macintosh software", scott knaster, hayden books is good

The Scott Knaster book was written when the MacPlus was the very latest thing.
You'll find nothing about color games there. Your best bet for speed is to
use long-word aligned offsceen pixmaps, and lots of CopyBits. I believe
the new offscreen pixmap support takes care of alignment for you.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - Note new signature. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (11/11/90)

In article <21599@well.sf.ca.us> oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>The Scott Knaster book was written when the MacPlus was the very latest thing.

The book ("How to Write Macintosh Software") has been revised since
then; the second edition says "Updated for Macintosh SE and II" on the
cover.  It is published by Hayden Books (ISBN 0-672-48429-3).
However, it doesn't go into much detail concerning programming with
Color QuickDraw.

However, Scott's other book, "Macintosh Programming Secrets", does
devote a couple of chapters to such issues.  It is published by
Addison-Wesley (ISBN 0-201-06661-0).  I recommend both books highly.

-- Russell Finn
rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu

ireland@ac.dal.ca (11/11/90)

In article <21599@well.sf.ca.us>, oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) writes:
> In article <13541@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:
>>Well, I've been doing a lot of Mac programming lately.  Mostly color games.
>>I think "how to write macintosh software", scott knaster, hayden books is good
>
> The Scott Knaster book was written when the MacPlus was the very latest thing.
> You'll find nothing about color games there. Your best bet for speed is to
> use long-word aligned offsceen pixmaps, and lots of CopyBits. I believe
> the new offscreen pixmap support takes care of alignment for you.
> --
> -- David Phillip Oster - Note new signature. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
> -- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

I just got volume 4 of Chernikov (sp?) series.  I believe this one is
called "Expanding the ToolBox". I haven't had much chance to look at it yet,
but at least half of the book deals with color. You might want to keep an
eye out for it.

Keith Conover
ireland@ac.dal.ca

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov10.174233.18740@athena.mit.edu> rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) writes:
>The book ("How to Write Macintosh Software") has been revised since
>then; the second edition says "Updated for Macintosh SE and II" on the
>cover.  It is published by Hayden Books (ISBN 0-672-48429-3).
And here I sit with ISBN 0-8104-6564-7, Copyright 1986, and they never
sent me a notice that an upgrade was available. What kind of support is this?
I will sure we be glad when we finally get hypermedia-in-the-large and
books will tell you when they are obsolete