[comp.sys.mac.programmer] shareable applications

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (11/11/90)

In article <1990Nov9.175740.242@mdivax1.uucp>:
>Apple has very
>specific guidelines for application developers to alleviate this situation.
>Unfortunately, many developers ignore them :-(.
>
>Of course, if the developer had wanted you to do this, they would have
>written it right in the first place :-).

And just where might developers find this information?  Inside Mac I-V
are pretty useless on a number of topics, including this one.  (Another
is trying to understand the majority of "official" resource types.)

I sure hope the answer isn't "pay $10,000 and become a registered developer".

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (11/12/90)

In article <jwright.658319449@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>I sure hope the answer isn't "pay $10,000 and become a registered developer".

I don't want anyone to get scared off by this posting. Becoming a
"registered developer" costs only $350 or $600, depending on whether or
not you want direct support from DTS. The other features, which both
programs have in common, are: Product discounts, developer conference
invitations, developer hotline, AppleLink access, monthly mailings on
the latest products, technical publications (like develop), technical
training, and an APDA membership.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

jackb (Jack Brindle) (11/12/90)

In article <jwright.658319449@quonset> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>In article <1990Nov9.175740.242@mdivax1.uucp>:
>>Apple has very
>>specific guidelines for application developers to alleviate this situation.
>>Unfortunately, many developers ignore them :-(.
>>

>And just where might developers find this information?  Inside Mac I-V
>are pretty useless on a number of topics, including this one.  (Another
>is trying to understand the majority of "official" resource types.)
>
>I sure hope the answer isn't "pay $10,000 and become a registered developer".

No, but you will have to order some docs from APDA. Specifically, a note
titled "Software Applications in a Shared Environment." APDA nr A7Z0014.
Only $20.00. It is a bit dated, but the info is there and is still quite
applicable. Additionally, Apple has been warning in many notes of the
consequences of not following the "rules." Just look through the Macintosh
Technical Note series that are available from many sources.

This garbage of folks crying that info is not available unless you are an
Apple Certified Developer is hogwash. You get info quicker that way, but
much info comes from outside channels (MacTutor, for example). If you
really want to develop for the Mac, dig for the info. It IS there...

And, oh yes. The info on shared environments IS in IM vol VI. (Just
thought you'd want to know :-) ).

Jack Brindle

darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov12.060106.706@mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!fh06c!jackb (Jack Brindle) writes:
> [stuff deleted about shared environment docs]
>This garbage of folks crying that info is not available unless you are an
>Apple Certified Developer is hogwash. You get info quicker that way, but
>much info comes from outside channels (MacTutor, for example). If you
>really want to develop for the Mac, dig for the info. It IS there...
>
>And, oh yes. The info on shared environments IS in IM vol VI. (Just
>thought you'd want to know :-) ).
>
>Jack Brindle

Dear Jack-
  You may be right about the documentation about shared environments but
your business with garbage crying hogs is untrue.
  Take, for instance, documentation on the sound manager in system 6.07.
This is a product that has not only been announced, but is shipping.  I have
pleasantly been informed, however, that the documentation is in IM VI.
(Available to Apple Partners) and has recently been put on AppleLink.
(Available to Apple Certified Developers).  APDA on the other hand does not
have this documentation nor do they know when they will have it.  (The
poor woman who told me this, was very trully sorry as I must have been
the 50th caller with the same question).  I've asked the net on various
occasions, with different tones of pleading and anger. (The first time I got
no response, the second time a flame from Apple).  So, unless you might
show me where to get this information (this year), please don't hold up
Apple's banner.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Apple is out to get me :-)
they just don't realize there are people who program their computers that
can't afford to be called "Developers."

By the way, I really would appreciate those Sound Manager & Sound Input
Manager docs if some kind developer would send them to me. :-}

Darren Garnier

--
                        Darren Garnier
darth@athena.mit.edu                     | Some rise, some fall,

dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov13.035041.17439@athena.mit.edu>, darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) writes...
>  Take, for instance, documentation on the sound manager in system 6.07.
>This is a product that has not only been announced, but is shipping.  I have
>pleasantly been informed, however, that the documentation is in IM VI.

  It is also on the CD that comes with the 'develop' magazine.  At $40 a year
it's a bit cheaper than becoming an apple developer or associate.

david | dhoyt@vx.acs.umn.edu | dhoyt@umnacvx.bitnet