[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Inside Mac Da

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (09/27/89)

Some clarifications of earlier posts:
The version I have is 1.2 with copyright 1987.  My version did not come with a
complete volume IV.  I can't give you files sizes or dates on my version
because mine has been heavily modified and I no longer have the original.

Inside Mac DA can be obtained via anonymous ftp from sumex.  Another copy is
on rascal which someone else edited to add error codes.  I did this also, among
other things.

The indexer is a separate program that comes with the DA.  The indexer reads
a modified manual file and creates a new index file.  If you don't have the
indexer then you're probably missing the documentation too.

I know some of you are missing the docs because you don't know that
command-shift-C does a special copy that copies the just the routine and its
arguments.  You can paste this into your program file, change the variable
names, and that's it!  Saves a lot of typing even though it uses Pascal calling
conventions.

I haven't seen Programmer's Online Companion so I can't compare the two.  The
IM DA can be invoked by a FKEY number if desired, BTW.

Hope that answers all your questions.  If someone really has a version with
a complete volume IV, i'd like to hear about it.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (09/29/89)

In article <5437@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>Some clarifications of earlier posts:
> [Stuff about Inside Mac DA]
>
>I haven't seen Programmer's Online Companion so I can't compare the two.  The
>IM DA can be invoked by a FKEY number if desired, BTW.

	I have both the IM DA and POC installed on my machine, and I find that
I use them both at times.  POC is the one that I use the most (of the two) as
it just has the calling conventions (in Pascal) which is what I really need.
After programming the Mac long enough (too long!??!) you learn what the calls
do, but not always all the parameters.  This lets me get to the params very
quickly (one hot key, plus the first couple letters of the routine name). It
also has everything from IM I-V, PLUS SANE.  The other thing that is nice is
that I can get to everything there via the keyboard, which I can not do (easily)
with the IM DA. (Oh, POC also has most of the low mem globals and all the data
structs also at key reach).
	The IMDA on the other hand is useful for it's COMPLETE text copy of
IM.  For those times I need to look up funkyness about a routine (like the
funky parms to Munger) or just to double-check soemthing about a particular
routines functionality, this is where I go.  Only when things get REALLY grim,
or it's in IM V (which is not in the IMDA database) do I go to IM itself.
	My IMDA database has through IM IV, though I have heard rumors of a
IMDA 2.0 which has through IMV, C syntax for the routines and more, but when
UI tried to order it, my check got sent back...

>Hope that answers all your questions.  If someone really has a version with
>a complete volume IV, i'd like to hear about it.

	Consider yourself heard.

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025

jdm@boulder.Colorado.EDU (James D. Meiss) (09/29/89)

In article <13860@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>	My IMDA database has through IM IV, though I have heard rumors of a
>IMDA 2.0 which has through IMV, C syntax for the routines and more, but when
>UI tried to order it, my check got sent back...

	Any chance you could post the database that includes up to
Vol IV?
	Perhaps its already on Sumex?????

		Thanks

		Jim Meiss
		jdm@euclid.Colorado.edu

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (10/01/89)

In article <12207@boulder.Colorado.EDU> jdm@boulder.Colorado.EDU (James D. Meiss) writes:
>In article <13860@well.UUCP> svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>>	My IMDA database has through IM IV, though I have heard rumors of a
>>IMDA 2.0 which has through IMV, C syntax for the routines and more, but when
>>UI tried to order it, my check got sent back...

I have the legendary 2.0, with IM V, C 'special-copy', and built-in
editing.  I ordered it from the author (address below) last spring... maybe
he's moved?

>	Any chance you could post the database that includes up to
>Vol IV?

Sorry, the author chose to charge $20 shareware for the Big Manual, and I
choose to respect his wishes.  If you find out he's no longer supporting the
program, on the other hand, let me know and I'll send it to the ends of the
earth.  (It really is a good program; it's a shame I can't do that now.
Ethics...)

The Author of Inside Mac DA:
	Bernard Gallet
	660 Miller Ave.
	Cupertino, CA 95014

Me:
--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.UUCP

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/04/89)

As quoted from <13361@reed.UUCP> by chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee):
+---------------
| Sorry, the author chose to charge $20 shareware for the Big Manual, and I
| choose to respect his wishes.  If you find out he's no longer supporting the
+---------------

Do you mean shareware or commercial?  Shareware means "get it from anywhere,
if you like it send the author $$".  You seem to be describing a *commercial*
license.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

chaffee@brahma.reed.edu (Alex Chaffee) (10/05/89)

Sorry, I said the wrong thing.

Ahem.  The Inside Mac DA is *demo*ware.  I have the version that people
should only get if
they pay $20 to the author.  I do not have the significantly smaller
demo version, which is
not only ethically proper to distribute, but also feasible -- the Big Manual
is about 750K if I remember right; way too big for me to deal with, at
least given my
present schedule.  Maybe after next Thursday I'll upload it for fun...

Sorry, guys,  (really, I am) -- You'll have to write the author.

Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.UUCP
____________________

kleinow@caen.engin.umich.edu (leonard kleinow) (10/06/89)

As for the IM DA, I used to have a copy of it, and the text it contained
was exactly the text from Inside Macintosh.  No where on the product was
it mentioned that the text was copyright Apple Computer, Inc.  Has Apple
given him a license to put this text out and charge for it?  Or are we
all paying $20 for what is essentially a "bootleg" of Inside Macintosh?

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/08/89)

In article <13378@reed.UUCP> chaffee@brahma.reed.edu (Alex Chaffee) writes:
>Sorry, I said the wrong thing.
>
>Ahem.  The Inside Mac DA is *demo*ware.  I have the version that people
>should only get if
>they pay $20 to the author.  I do not have the significantly smaller
>demo version, which is
>not only ethically proper to distribute, but also feasible -- the Big Manual
>is about 750K if I remember right; way too big for me to deal with, at

  The Inside Mac DA is distributed on Phil & Dave's Excellent CD, with
a 600K manual that includes IM IV (but not V). Is this the 'significantly
smaller' demoware version, or the 'real thing'? It seems fully functional
(with the obvious exception of lacking the IM V interfaces...). It also
has an About dialog that requests a $10 shareware contribution, not $20.
Inflation, perhaps? :-)

--
==========     .......     =============================================
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud

chaffee@reed.UUCP (Alex Chaffee) (10/19/89)

I'm back at my Mac now, so I can tell for sure:  the 'Big Manual' is 935K
big, it includes volume V, and it costs $20.  Whether it's illegal or not is
not mentioned in the About box...

Once again, the author's address is:  Bernard Gallet, 660 Miller Ave,
Cupertino, CA, 95014.

--
Alex Chaffee
chaffee@reed.UUCP

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (11/08/90)

There used to be a nice DA that provided an online summary of the
information in Inside Mac.  Is there an updated version of this?
For that matter, is there a CD-Rom version of IM?  My problem is
that I have more macs scattered around, than I have IM's, and
the IM's are never where I am when I need them.  (Hence my
frequent use of the net, which I hope is not considered
a waste of bandwidth).

gurgle@well.sf.ca.us (Pete Gontier) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov8.040841.21285@midway.uchicago.edu> rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:
>There used to be a nice DA that provided an online summary of the
>information in Inside Mac.  Is there an updated version of this?

I'm running version 2, which covers IM V (not VI yet, but this is
understandable). It also includes C-syntax cut-and-paste, trap words, and
memory-moving status. You can get it from the author, who is

	Bernard Gallet
	660 Miller Ave.
	Cupertino, CA  95014

For $20 it's the best deal around. Indispensable.

P.S. I have nothing to do with Bernard. To prove it I'll say bad things about
him. I had to send him a second nasty note before he shipped our copies. I've
found plenty of trivial typos in the database. And I've found one important
error -- the database thinks CompactMem doesn't move memory.

>For that matter, is there a CD-Rom version of IM?

Sure is. It's called Spinside Macintosh, and there is even a version for IM
Volume VI. On the other hand, it's a HyperCard stack, and you can only get
it the Developer CD ROM's, and you have to merit special attention in Apple's
book to receive those CD ROM's. It may also be on the Developer Essentials
CD ROM, which comes out nearly as often and can be obtained by normal humans
like you and me.
--
 Pete Gontier, gurgle@well.sf.ca.us
 Software Imagineer, Kiwi Software, Inc.

Jim.Lynch@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Lynch) (11/15/90)

I think BMUG has this DA; chek em out.  Another solution (the one I
constantly use with great results):  get a backpack and carry your IMs in
them!  It works great cause I can be useful at user group mtgs or use my docs
anywhere I go.  Hope this helps!
-Jim

--
Jim Lynch - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Jim.Lynch