[comp.sys.mac.programmer] can the serial driver run at 38400 baud?

GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) (11/10/90)

I have a program that does serial communications.  I have gotten
requests to support speeds above 19.2kb.

serial.h shows the following speeds defines (divisors) sent to
serial chip:

#define baud300 380
#define baud600 189
#define baud1200 94
#define baud1800 62
#define baud2400 46
#define baud3600 30
#define baud4800 22
#define baud7200 14
#define baud9600 10
#define baud19200 4
#define baud57600 0

It looks like baud38400 should be 2 but I have not been able to get
the driver to respond to 384kb.  I have tried 1, 2, and 3 as the
divisor.

Has anyone got the serial driver to run at 38400kb?  If so how?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Aaron Reizes
Stanford University
reizes@forsythe.stanford.edu

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov10.021930.16649@morrow.stanford.edu> GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) writes:
>I have a program that does serial communications.  I have gotten
>requests to support speeds above 19.2kb.
>
>It looks like baud38400 should be 2 but I have not been able to get
>the driver to respond to 384kb.  I have tried 1, 2, and 3 as the
>divisor.

Read IM-II chapter on the serial driver.  You need to set up a parameter
block and make a control call to the output driver...

IM II-254/255. csCode = 13, csParam = baudRate.

Hope this helps.
Byron

news@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz (USENET News System) (11/16/90)

>In article <1990Nov10.021930.16649@morrow.stanford.edu> GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) writes:
>>I have a program that does serial communications.  I have gotten
>>requests to support speeds above 19.2kb.
>>
>>It looks like baud38400 should be 2 but I have not been able to get
				   ^^^ -- no it should be 1
From: s8925188@mqcomp.mqcc.mq.OZ (Philip Craig)

>>the driver to respond to 384kb.  I have tried 1, 2, and 3 as the
>>divisor.
>>
>Read IM-II chapter on the serial driver.  You need to set up a parameter
>block and make a control call to the output driver...
>
>IM II-254/255. csCode = 13, csParam = baudRate.

While Byron's method will work, I have found that a constant of 1 works just
fine for me. There is an entry in the Q&A stack that mentions this. It also
gives the arcane division formula for working out your own rates. Now the
interesting question is: why did Apple leave it out of the constants, and
why is it still left out?
I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side...

ACSnet          ( s8925188@mqcomp.mq.oz )
UUCP            ( uunet!munnari!mqcomp.mq.oz!s8925188 )
Internet        ( s8925188%mqcomp.mq.oz@uunet.uu.net )