[comp.sys.mac.programmer] identify this error...

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) (11/17/90)

Okay.  I'm the d00d who posted not so long ago about how to do
big-time debugging.  Naturally, having asked the question, I didn't
understand any of the follow-ups.  TMON?  What's TMON?  But it's
irrelevant.

Here's what I see in Macsbug when my program hangs...

NMI
	_StripAddress
		+05C8	40AD98	*MOVE.L	(A0),D0

What's your theory?  I'm running on a Mac SE, a few inits
(Diskdoubler, the Grouch, Moire), and a limping hard drive.
						--Alan

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (11/17/90)

ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) writes:
>Okay.  I'm the d00d who posted not so long ago about how to do
>big-time debugging.  Naturally, having asked the question, I didn't
>understand any of the follow-ups.  TMON?  What's TMON?  But it's
>irrelevant.
>
>Here's what I see in Macsbug when my program hangs...
>
>NMI
>	_StripAddress
>		+05C8	40AD98	*MOVE.L	(A0),D0
>
>What's your theory?  I'm running on a Mac SE, a few inits
>(Diskdoubler, the Grouch, Moire), and a limping hard drive.

That address is in the Memory Manager, and I'd wager that A0 contains an odd
address.  A0 points to a block in the heap.  Most likely the header of the
block just before that one was trashed.  Do you own the block 2 previous to
the current one?  Maybe you wrote a few more bytes to it than it could
contain?

steve

  whoami?     Steve Christensen
  snail:      Apple Computer, 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-81CS, Cupertino, CA 95035
  internet:   stevec@apple.com
  AppleLink:  stevec
  CompuServe: 76174,1712

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (11/17/90)

In article <> ramaley@csli.Stanford.EDU (Alan Ramaley) writes:

>understand any of the follow-ups.  TMON?  What's TMON?  But it's

TMON is a low-lever debugger (like MacsBug, but with windows)
commercially available.

>NMI
>	_StripAddress
>		+05C8	40AD98	*MOVE.L	(A0),D0

>What's your theory?  I'm running on a Mac SE, a few inits
>(Diskdoubler, the Grouch, Moire), and a limping hard drive.

NMI... You're pressing the switch out of a hang ? I'd guess you

1) have actually created an infinite loop / structure or
2) are using Nil, dereferenced or otherwise invalid handles.

							h+

h+@nada.kth.se
"Moof!(tm)"