[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Graf3D routines

mchupa@brahms.udel.edu (Michael A Chupa) (11/19/90)

I am a high school CS teacher using THINK Pascal 3.0 with my students, and I
am using the Quickdraw toolbox routines to get them started with graphics. I
have played a bit with the Graf3D routines, but the documentation in IM
is a bit terse (i.e. not there?). Are there any TNs or other written work on
this package?
Mike

robert@polari.UUCP (robert) (11/20/90)

In article <16005@brahms.udel.edu>, mchupa@brahms.udel.edu (Michael A Chupa) writes:
> I am a high school CS teacher using THINK Pascal 3.0 with my students, and I
> am using the Quickdraw toolbox routines to get them started with graphics. I
> have played a bit with the Graf3D routines, but the documentation in IM
> is a bit terse (i.e. not there?). Are there any TNs or other written work on
> this package?

      I first read about Graf3D in MacTutor (June 1988, Vol 4, no 6).
This article examined using Graf3D from Forth. At the end of the article,
they gave a listing of an old Pascal program from Apple's Lisa Software
Supplement called "Boxes". After reading this, I found I actually had a
modified version of this program that came with a Pascal compiler I
bought a long time ago (Turbo Pascal). I compiled and ran this on a
Mac Plus and it worked quite well. Unfortunately, the MacTutor article
is mostly concerned with linking to Graf3D from Forth. It won't tell
you much more then you already know if you have the Pascal example.

      I decided to go looking for Graph3d documentation. I was sure I'd
seen some somewhere. I found it in the MPW Assembler manual for version
2.0 of MPW. What surprised me is that the Graf3d documentation is absent
in the version 3.0 manual for the Assembler, and doesn't appear in the C
or Pascal manuals for version 3.0. Maybe it's in the manuals for the
MPW 3.0 shell.

      Requests for information on Graf3D are posted here every few
months. Since Graf3D is not covered in Inside Mac, it would be nice
if Apple made this information available in some form (like a Tech
Note or a separate document) that can be posted to comp.binaries.mac
and freely distributed.

                                            Robert Riebman

|Robert Riebman                    |  robert@polari                     |
|Northwest Information Technology  | (...uw-beaver!sumax!polari!robert) |
|P.O. Box 3156                     |                                    |
|Redmond, WA     98073             |         "Hack and Enjoy"           |