[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Assembly and oop

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (10/30/90)

Well, it's time....time to learn oop and assembly.
What method/book do you recommend?
I have a good C and Pascal (Think is my environment of choice) background (sp?)
and have experience in writing Object Oriented stuff in Scheme (like lisp).
I want to learn oop for the Mac.  How would you do it?

As for assembly, well I have no experience that I would think is particularly
pertinent except for the C and Pascal stuff.  I really would just like to do
some inline stuff in Think C, but I should eventually _really_ learn assem.
fully.  How would you go about learning assem. on the Mac?

Thanks for your help,

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (11/20/90)

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:

> Well, it's time....time to learn oop and assembly.
> What method/book do you recommend?
> I have a good C and Pascal (Think is my environment of choice) background
> (sp?) and have experience in writing Object Oriented stuff in Scheme (like
> lisp). I want to learn oop for the Mac.  How would you do it?

I learned Smalltalk V from the tutorials but I had no previous OO experience.
Maybe you should just jump in with THINK Pascal writing a program.

> As for assembly, well I have no experience that I would think is particularly
> pertinent except for the C and Pascal stuff.  I really would just like to
do
> some inline stuff in Think C, but I should eventually _really_ learn assem.
> fully.  How would you go about learning assem. on the Mac?

I found 680x0 Assembler very easy.  There were several good books at
B. Dalton.  I just bought a couple and started writing 'Hello World' type
programs. MPW wasn't invented then so I used McAssembly from Signature
Software. It was $50 or so shareware. It's a great little language. Look
for it on the Major On-Line services. Dave McWherter wrote it and then wrote
Vantage in it.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org