[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacNosy incr compiles with MPW & MacApp?

gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (11/19/90)

I'm getting a little tired of waiting for MacApp recompiles (on se/30).
Does anyone here use Steve Jasik's MacNosy/Debugger to do incremental
builds, and does it work well with MacApp? (i.e., does it speed it up
a lot?)
-- Thanks,  Don

Don.Gilbert@Iubio.Bio.Indiana.Edu
biocomputing office, indiana univ., bloomington, in 47405, usa

pillera@etd4260a.erim.org (Joe Pillera) (11/20/90)

> I'm getting tired of waiting for long MacApp compiles...

Just wait for the 68090 chip, and all of your problems will be solved!
:-) :-)
--

-----
Joe Pillera                              ERIM

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are solely those of Joe Pillera,
            and not of ERIM or its affiliates.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/20/90)

In article <72900@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
>I'm getting a little tired of waiting for MacApp recompiles (on se/30).
>Does anyone here use Steve Jasik's MacNosy/Debugger to do incremental
>builds, and does it work well with MacApp? (i.e., does it speed it up
>a lot?)

You betcha!  What's even better, is that the application remains in the
state it was in when you went off to do the patch.  That means you don't have
to relaunch and work your way down to the bug on every iteration.  The changed
routines are patched into the running application.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (11/20/90)

In article <72900@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, gilbertd@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:

> I'm getting a little tired of waiting for MacApp recompiles (on se/30).
> Does anyone here use Steve Jasik's MacNosy/Debugger to do incremental
> builds, and does it work well with MacApp? (i.e., does it speed it up
> a lot?)

Jasik's IBS does work with MacApp.  In fact, most of the people I
know who use it are using it with MacApp.  And yes, when you are only
changing code without changing procedure interfaces it can speed up
the compile/link cycle a lot.  (Change an interface and it has to
do a regular link)

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) (11/22/90)

> Jasik's IBS does work with MacApp.

How 'bout with MacApp and C++? I am not familiar with Jasik's IBS, but
it sounds like just the ticket. But C++ is only recently becoming a first
class citizen with regard to MacApp. Hence my question.

Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
                  PO Box 500 MS 50-662, Beaverton, OR 97077

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/22/90)

In article <SCOTTH.90Nov21160056@rocco.labs.tek.com> scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) writes:
-> Jasik's IBS does work with MacApp.

>How 'bout with MacApp and C++? I am not familiar with Jasik's IBS, but
>it sounds like just the ticket. But C++ is only recently becoming a first
>class citizen with regard to MacApp. Hence my question.

Yes, it works with C++ AND MacApp.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)