[comp.sys.mac.programmer] IP Address of ftp.apple.com

emerson@hal.uvm.edu (Tree) (11/21/90)

What is the IP address of ftp.apple.com?  When I ftp to what is
"ftp.apple.com" I connect to bric-a-brac (?) which contains absolutely
nothing, or at least nothing that I can see with "ls" or "dir".
Help! Please!

Thanks.

Tom E.
emerson@hal.uvm.edu

jxf@castor.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (11/22/90)

emerson@hal.uvm.edu (Tree) writes:

>What is the IP address of ftp.apple.com?  When I ftp to what is
>"ftp.apple.com" I connect to bric-a-brac (?) which contains absolutely
>nothing, or at least nothing that I can see with "ls" or "dir".

Me too, the following is a transcript from my ftp session:

-% ftp ftp.apple.com
-Connected to bric-a-brac.apple.com.
-220 bric-a-brac.apple.com FTP server (IG Version 5.81 (from BU, from UUNET 5.51)
- Thu Sep 6 21:29:17 PDT 1990) ready.
-Name (ftp.apple.com:jxf): anonymous
-331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
-Password:
-230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
-ftp> dir
-200 PORT command successful.
-150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
-226 Transfer complete.
-ftp>

What the hey?

  --Jerry

tih@barsoom.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (11/23/90)

jxf@castor.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:

>-ftp> dir
>-200 PORT command successful.
>-150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
>-226 Transfer complete.

The ftpd on ftp.apple.com (or bric-a-brac.apple.com) is kind of brain-
damaged.  The 'dir' command doesn't work, you have to use 'ls'.  Of
course, this won't let you see file sizes, and you'll have to guess
which names are directories...  :-)  There's a file at the top level
listing the contents of the directories, but last I looked this file
was all wrong, and most of the directories were unreadable anyway.

Probably just temporary problems -- I'm sure they'll get the site
working properly if we give them a bit of time...  In any case, it's
commendable that Apple makes this service available at all!

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone: +47-5-959205
tih@barsoom.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, edb_tom@debet.nhh.no