[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Curses for Mac

rodneys@Apple.COM (Rodney Somerstein) (08/23/89)

Has anyone developed a curses library for the Macintosh?  I am trying to port
some Unix source code that uses curses, but can't seem to find an appropriate
library.  MPW source is preferred, but LSC would work also.

As an alternative, are there any defines that could be used in the place of
the curses routines?  I am a relative newcomer to C, so this has been causing
real problems for me.

Thanks,

-Rodney

rodneys@apple.com

rodneys@apple.com

wilson@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (James E. Wilson) (08/24/89)

In article <34217@apple.Apple.COM> rodneys@Apple.COM (Rodney Somerstein) writes:
>Has anyone developed a curses library for the Macintosh?  I am trying to port
>some Unix source code that uses curses, but can't seem to find an appropriate
>library.  MPW source is preferred, but LSC would work also.

The author of the Mac Moria port, Curtis McCauley, has a curses library.
It is not a complete curses library, though, it only implements those features
used by UNIX Moria, but it should be good enough for most purposes. His code
also adds a Mac UI to a UNIX program, without too much fuss apparently.  I've
asked him to distribute his code, and I believe he will, eventually...
If you are interested, you can try sending him mail at:
  73230.224@CompuServe.COM

A simple, very naive curses library can be easily written in TC (aka LSC) using
their standard I/O library and the gotoxy() function.  I have a set of routines
that do this, written by Richard Miyasawa.  The code does not handle refresh
correctly, he just always draws directly to the screen.  It may be useful,
though, if you are desparate for a curses library.  Send me mail if you are
interested.

Jim Wilson
wilson@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
...!ucbvax!ucbarpa!wilson
I am the author of UNIX Moria.

zag@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Zack Gardner) (11/24/90)

I'm sure this has been asked here before. Is there a curses package
available for the Mac (using Think C) so that I can port some
curses-using programs from unix to Mac?

Thanks,

Zack