[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7.0b1 apps crash when displaying "Want to save changes..." ?

scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) (11/19/90)

I've just gotten started playing around with 7.0b1. Have been, in general,
pleasantly impressed, but have encountered one annoying problem which I
wonder if others have seen and, hopefully, found a workaround for:

When quitting an application without saving changes, the dialog confirming
the quit starts to come up, but before drawing the text or any buttons, goes
out of control, flickering the border wildly, as if it's being redrawn
repeatedly. At the moment I remember AppleLink 5.1.1 and MS Word 4.00B
exhibiting this behavior.

Anybody else seen this? It's a pretty vanilla installation, with only these
non-Apple oddities: drive is an external LaCie and printer driver is
DeskWriter. The repeatable scenario is using AppleLink to read documentation
in image files on the 7.0b1 CD (CD setup 3.0.1). When I quit AppleLink it
displays diagnostic dialogs about not being able to save font (and some other
resource, can't remember what) info, which is natural since the document
is on a locked disk (CD-ROM). Then, if I've specified a font substitution,
at the point when I think I'm being asked if I want to save the substitution,
the flickering border dialog starts. It pauses while I hold the programmer's
switch down; restarts when I release it. No mouse or keyboard events seem to
get through; there is no visible evidence. Eventually I give up and reset.

Thanks in advance for any info

Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.
                  PO Box 500 MS 50-662, Beaverton, OR 97077

Reid Ellis <rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> (11/24/90)

In <SCOTTH.90Nov18185206@rocco.labs.tek.com> scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) writes:
>... The repeatable scenario is using AppleLink to read documentation
>in image files on the 7.0b1 CD (CD setup 3.0.1).

I've been running 7.0b1 for a couple of weeks now and have noticed a
problem with doing what you mention -- reading AppleLink image files
off of "Beta Bang".  Unlike you, however, I just get a message about
being unable to open the file.  My short-term fix was to copy the
files in question to my disk, read them there, then delete them.

Sounds like AppleLink is assuming a bit too much about the
writeability of the file it's reading..

					Reid
--
Reid Ellis  176 Brookbanks Drive, Toronto ON, M3A 2T5 Canada
rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      ||  rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu