[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How can I increase my Heap Zone Space?

domenikos@emass.enet.dec.com (George Domenikos) (11/22/90)

Hi there,

I desparately need to increase my Zone heap space as much as I can.
My application displays alot of graphics and every time a new picture
gets put onto the window my heap space goes down. Eventually after awhile
I crash getting
 "memFullEr not enough room in heap zone" and also
"errCode: 25 dsmemfull Err out of memory/fragmented"

Question:
-How to I increase my heap Zone Space to be really big?

Thanks in advance for your help

george

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (11/27/90)

domenikos@emass.enet.dec.com (George Domenikos) writes:
>I desparately need to increase my Zone heap space as much as I can.
>My application displays alot of graphics and every time a new picture
>gets put onto the window my heap space goes down. Eventually after awhile
>I crash getting "memFullEr not enough room in heap zone" and also
>"errCode: 25 dsmemfull Err out of memory/fragmented"

Have you thought about making the pictures purgeable when you're done
displaying them so they'll be removed from the heap if a memory request
comes along (and also so they won't just sit there taking up space)?

>Question:
>-How to I increase my heap Zone Space to be really big?

You can call MaxApplZone when your application starts up.  This will grow
the size of the application heap to make it as big as it can be.  Under
single Finder, this will be most of the available memory.  Under MultiFinder
this will be the size of your application's partition (the number in the
Get Info window in the Finder)...

steve

  whoami?     Steve Christensen
  snail:      Apple Computer, 20525 Mariani Ave, MS-81CS, Cupertino, CA 95035
  internet:   stevec@apple.com
  AppleLink:  stevec
  CompuServe: 76174,1712