[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Handling a W I D E carriage printer in draft mode

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (11/30/90)

   The latest project I am working on will involve printing text in
draft mode on  a form which is about 12 inches wide.  An impact
printer is required (multipart form) for the job.

   Now, the only wide carriage printers that I have worked with
on the Mac are the LQ (very scarry stuff...) and the old ImageWriter XL
15 inch model.

   I am very concerned about the programming aspects of using draft
mode on an LQ (or any mode on the LQ for that matter!).  I would rather
use a PC-Type wide carriage printer and use a software and hardware
combo to make it look like an ImageWriter II with a wide carriage.

   What is the best approach to printing wide forms in draft mode???

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |

In article <1990Nov29.200121.16718@CAM.ORG> pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>   The latest project I am working on will involve printing text in
>draft mode on  a form which is about 12 inches wide.  An impact
>printer is required (multipart form) for the job.
>
>   Now, the only wide carriage printers that I have worked with
>on the Mac are the LQ (very scarry stuff...) and the old ImageWriter XL
>15 inch model.
>
>   I am very concerned about the programming aspects of using draft
>mode on an LQ (or any mode on the LQ for that matter!).  I would rather
>use a PC-Type wide carriage printer and use a software and hardware
>combo to make it look like an ImageWriter II with a wide carriage.
>
>   What is the best approach to printing wide forms in draft mode???

For doing draft mode, you should probably use the serial port directly
(violating every standard in the book, but getting the job done)-- that way
you can program for a specific printer without problems (Mac high level
positioning is UGLY in draft mode).

For the hardware part, I've got an IW 15" I'd part with for, say, a LaserWriter
IINTX :-)