[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Recommended Assembly Books

c60b-4aa@web-4e.berkeley.edu (Matthew Hills) (11/26/90)

I recall someone asking this question before, but as I didn't take notes:

What are some good books for assembly on the Mac?
(I am mainly looking for a reference guide on 680xx instructions, but don't
 mind books with some attempts to explain what is going on, etc...)

Thanks,
Matthew Hills
		c60b-4aa@web.berkeley.edu
Motto:  "It just doesn't get ... any better than this"

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov26.054821.8534@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-4aa@web-4e.berkeley.edu (Matthew Hills) writes:

>I recall someone asking this question before, but as I didn't take notes:
>
>What are some good books for assembly on the Mac?
>(I am mainly looking for a reference guide on 680xx instructions, but don't
> mind books with some attempts to explain what is going on, etc...)

Me too!

Mike.
--
Michael A. Kelly                 | "Fish heads, fish heads,
Internet: mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu  |  Roly-poly fish heads,

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.054821.8534@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-4aa@web-4e.berkel

>I recall someone asking this question before, but as I didn't take notes:
>
>What are some good books for assembly on the Mac?
>(I am mainly looking for a reference guide on 680xx instructions, but don't
> mind books with some attempts to explain what is going on, etc...)

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (11/28/90)

sorry about the last "blank" one...
In article <1990Nov26.054821.8534@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-4aa@web-4e.berkel

>I recall someone asking this question before, but as I didn't take notes:
>
>What are some good books for assembly on the Mac?
>(I am mainly looking for a reference guide on 680xx instructions, but don't
> mind books with some attempts to explain what is going on, etc...)
      .
I have "MPW and Assembly Language" by Scott Kronick, published by Hoaward
W. Sams & company, (it is a "Hayden Macintosh Library book".)
This book is dated (1987) but is useful if you know little of no assembly
and are new to MPW. Also Motorola's books on the 680x0 series are useful.
hope this helps...
   Brent Schorsch

paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) (11/28/90)

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) writes:

>In article <1990Nov26.054821.8534@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b-4aa@web-4e.berkeley.edu (Matthew Hills) writes:
>>
>>What are some good books for assembly on the Mac?
>>(I am mainly looking for a reference guide on 680xx instructions, but don't
>> mind books with some attempts to explain what is going on, etc...)

>Me too!

Consider this a very minor tip. I would also like to find a book like this but
then I looked on my shelf and found this:
68000 Assembly Language Programming by Kane, Hawkins and Leventhal.
Copyright 1981?!
I don't know if this helps because the mnemonics used might not match the
assembler that you have. This book originally cost $16.99 at the Stanford
Bookstore and I got it for 25% off because they were obviously dumping it.
Good Luck.
--
     // Paul H. Kohlmiller           //  "Cybers, Macs and Mips"         //
     // Control Data Corporation     // Internet: paul@u02.svl.cdc.com   //

cramer@iex.iex.com (Bill Cramer) (11/28/90)

In article <28875@shamash.cdc.com> paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller)
writes:
>I would also like to find a book like this but
>then I looked on my shelf and found this:
>68000 Assembly Language Programming by Kane, Hawkins and Leventhal.
>Copyright 1981?!

This book has been updated to include 68020 instructions.  No MMU or FP
instructions, but it does has the newer addressing modes and bit fields
operators found on the 020, 030, and (I assume) the 040.

   68000 Assembly Language Programming
   Levanthal, Hawkins, Kane, and Cramer
   Osborne MacGraw-Hill, 1986

Bill Cramer                     | "The greed of the few outweighs
IEX Corporation                 |    the needs of the many."
Plano, Texas                    |       -- popular American theme
{uunet,convex,ntvax}!iex!cramer |

aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) (11/30/90)

My favorite one is:

The Motorola MC68020 and MC68030 Microprocessors
Assembly langauge, interfacing, and design
Harman L. Thomas,
Prentice-Hall International, Inc., 1989

It's not a Mac book, but it does a very good job at explaining what
the heck is going on in that little black box of a processor. A few
topics it covers: native data types, addressing modes, data transfer,
program control, arithmetic and logic operations, processor states and
modes, system control instructions, exception-handling, chaching,
coprocessor protocol, MC68881, differences of the MC68851 and the internal
memory management of the MC68030, and interfacing peripheral chips.

This is your book if you need to know everything about about anything :-)

///
Mimir Reynisson
Software Island

jxf@castor.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (12/01/90)

For Mac users, the following is a very good book:

	68030 Assembly Language Reference (includes the 68020)
	by Steve Williams

Good description of the 68000 series chips in general.  At least a
page description for each instruction; includes 68881/2 and 68851
instructions as well.

Coding examples in MPW C and MPW assembler.  Williams talks about
the Mac quit a lot.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences