[comp.sys.mac.programmer] greyscale video device driver

robdu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Robert James Duncan) (11/30/90)

I am writing a driver for a greyscale video device and I need to know
how to inform Quickdraw that there is only one output channel instead of
the normal three (red, green and blue).

If I had a fixed linear ramp of greys, then I suppose I could specify
that I was a direct device with each 8-bit pixel consisting of one 8-bit
component.  Does any one know whether this will work, or how to specify
greyscale for a writeable clut, i.e. an indexed device?

Rob.
rob duncan, school of cognitive and computing sciences,
university of sussex, brighton, uk. robdu@cogs.susx.ac.uk

In article <3936@syma.sussex.ac.uk> robdu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Robert James Duncan) writes:
>I am writing a driver for a greyscale video device and I need to know
>how to inform Quickdraw that there is only one output channel instead of
>the normal three (red, green and blue).
>
>If I had a fixed linear ramp of greys, then I suppose I could specify
>that I was a direct device with each 8-bit pixel consisting of one 8-bit
>component.  Does any one know whether this will work, or how to specify
>greyscale for a writeable clut, i.e. an indexed device?

Can you just set the gdDevType bit of the GDflags of your GDevice to 0?