[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Program Port to Mac suggestions needed...

scotty@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Scott A. Gothe) (12/04/90)

I am currently assessing the feasibility of porting a rather large
(ca. 3 mB executable) program from a VAX or UNIX environment to a
Macintosh.  The code (100,000+ lines) is written in FORTRAN, with
several ancillary routines (low-level stuff) in C. (required from
our last port from VAX assembler to Sun UNIX.)
	What I need mow are suggestions for a suitable development
environment on the Mac side.  Hardware is no real problem, although
configuration suggestions (with prices) are still welcome!
	In specific, we need (I think):
		-- C Compiler
		-- FORTRAN Compiler (which can incorporate object/
                                     source libraries from C compiler
                                      {AbSoft Fortran???})
		-- Ancillary stuff for debugging and Graphics
                   Development.

       ***** All with current prices, if known!!! *****

	Please E-mail suggestions directly to:

		Dr. Scott A. Gothe
		Laboratory for Computational Chemistry
		Yale University
		scotty@doctor.chem.yale.edu

	Thanks again for your time!

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (12/05/90)

In article <27555@cs.yale.edu> scotty@doctor.chem.yale.edu (Scott A.
Gothe) writes:
> I am currently assessing the feasibility of porting a rather large
> (ca. 3 mB executable) program from a VAX or UNIX environment to a
> Macintosh.  The code (100,000+ lines) is written in FORTRAN, with
> several ancillary routines (low-level stuff) in C.
>
>  What I need mow are suggestions for a suitable development
> environment on the Mac side.

We're in almost the same situation here with the exception of the
low-level C routines. Instead, we're using an application generator to
write high-level routines in C. I suggest you get Apple's Macintosh
Programmers Workshop (MPW) and Language Systems Corp.'s MPW Fortran
compiler. You can buy them both from Language Systems Corp. for about $300
(I think).

Language Systems can be reached at (703) 478-0181 or:

Language Systems Corp.
441 Carlisle Drive
Herndon, VA 22070

I have no connection with LSC other than as a very happy customer.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard