[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK Compiler Names

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (12/07/90)

In article <31267.275A5118@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:

>The story with the names goes like this.  There once was a company named
>"THINK Technologies" that had two products; LightSpeed Pascal and LightSpeed
>C.  These products acquired the abreviations LSP and LSC on better networks
>around the world. In the fullness of time this company was bought by Symantic
>and became a division of it's parent. After a few bad starts such as
>"Symantic's
>THINK LightSpeed Pascal" the parent company decided that the names THINK
>Pascal
>and THINK C would best preserve the good will that their aquisition had built
>up.  The only problem with Symantic's choice of names was that the initials
>TC and TP were already in wide use for Borland's Turbo C and Pascal
>respectively.
>So people contine to use LSP to refer to THINK Pascal and LSC to refer to
>THINK
>C.

	Pretty close :-), with some corrections:

	1) There's no "i" in Symantec.
	2) The reason for the name change was because Lightspeed, Inc.,
	makers of the Lightspeed Color Layout System, didn't take
	kindly to the name conflict. The interim names "THINK's
	LightspeedC" and "THINK's Lightspeed Pascal" were part of
	a gradual name transition.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"...she's dressed in yellow, she says 'Hello, come sit next to me, you
fine fellow..."