[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Why doesn't Apple support their users and developers?

hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) (11/22/90)

I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
hang my system?

Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
III card running in millions of colors mode)?

Also, any hints as to where I can find documentation on 32 bit QuickDraw
would be appreciated.  I have ordered the first issue to d e v e l o p,
now i just have to wait until they can find one to send to me.

Maybe I should return my Mac's.  They aren't quite worth the trouble.

How can Apple afford to not support their users?  I'm not going to be
justifying the purchase of any new Mac's to my employer or friends in
the near future after this.

julia hsieh              My opinions are not intended to reflect
hsieh@rscene.hac.com     those of Hughes Aircraft Company.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (11/22/90)

In article <11885@hacgate.UUCP> hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) writes:

>I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
>on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
>Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
>4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
>hang my system?
>
>Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
>has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
>III card running in millions of colors mode)?

Version 6.2b1 of Macsbug, which works fine on a IIfx, is on the latest
developer's CD, The Night of the Living Disc.  This CD was mailed out
to all registered developers more than a month ago.  I agree it should
have been made available when the IIfx first shipped.

I think that if you had linked DTS instead of APDA, they would have
sent the new Macsbug to you.

David

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/22/90)

-----
In article <11885@hacgate.UUCP>, hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) writes...

>I just called APDA up to get a version of MacsBugs that will run
>on my Mac IIfx.  I am told that version 6.1, the only version that
>Apple is shipping is NOT fx compatible.  I've had my fx for almost
>4 months and Apple STILL doesn't have a version of MacsBugs that won't
>hang my system?
>
>Does anyone have a low level debugger that will run on the fx that
>has multiple monitors and with 32 bit QuickDraw (and a SuperMac Spectrum
>III card running in millions of colors mode)?

You might give ICOM Simulations (Wheeling, IL) a call and ask them about their
debugger TMON.  It might work.  I'm pretty sure that there are later (beta)
versions of MacsBug than 6.1.

>Also, any hints as to where I can find documentation on 32 bit QuickDraw
>would be appreciated.

Try ftp'ing anonymously to apple.com.  I think there are 32 bit QD docs there.

>Maybe I should return my Mac's.  They aren't quite worth the trouble.

You are VERY easily discouraged.  Perhaps indeed you should, since learning to
program the Mac is not entirely easy and you may encounter other difficulties
in the future.

>How can Apple afford to not support their users?  I'm not going to be
>justifying the purchase of any new Mac's to my employer or friends in
>the near future after this.

Let me get this straight: the MacsBug APDA is selling isn't IIfx compatible,
you haven't yet been able to get 32 bit QD docs, and  d e v e l o p  hasn't
started your subscription yet, and you say Apple doesn't support developers?
Sheesh.

Try this:

1)  Extensive FREE support from Apple DTS and other Apple folk via this very
newsgroup.  Oftentimes direct from the people who write the system software,
MacApp, etc.  No charge.

2) tech note subscription from APDA (or download it from comp.binaries.mac or
ftp it from apple.com).  $25 or no charge.

3) Essentials/Tools/Objects for MPW users is a quarterly CD-ROM subscription to
all MPW products as well as many alpha and beta tools, etc.  $1000 starter fee
if you have not MPW things; $300 a year if you have them all.

4) d e v e l o p   magazine, an excellent resource including a CD-ROM
chock-a-block full of good stuff.  $30/year.

5) Apple Partners: receive discounts on equipment, direct access to DTS,
developer materials, etc.  $600/year if you qualify.

6) Apple Associates: all of the above except direct DTS access.  $350/year if
you qualify.

So, if you're just a hobbyist, then items number 1,2 and 4 should suffice and
are quite inexpensive.  If you're pro or work for a company, check out 3 or 5
or 6.

But don't complain that Apple doesn't support developers.

Robert

>julia hsieh              My opinions are not intended to reflect
>hsieh@rscene.hac.com     those of Hughes Aircraft Company.
= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (11/25/90)

In article <11885@hacgate.UUCP>, hsieh@rscene.hac.com (Julia Hsieh) writes:
> Maybe I should return my Mac's.  They aren't quite worth the trouble.
Feel free.

> How can Apple afford to not support their users?  I'm not going to be
> justifying the purchase of any new Mac's to my employer or friends in
> the near future after this.

You are asking for developer level support for end users. Not a good
strategy. A relatively small percentage of *users* use MacsBug.

As a developer, you would have received the MacsBug you required by
mail long ago. Further, you would have CD's full of the essential
tools you need to develop for the Macintosh. All for only $350 per
year, it is an affordable option.

If you can not afford to be a certified developer, then I suggest
you become good friends with one. Asking Apple to support end users
as though they were developers is the wrong approach for all parties
concerned.

As for your specific case, you could ask the net, ask a dealer, link
MacDTS, or ask a friend.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (12/06/90)

I just want to point out two things:

* Links/Emails sent to MacDTS by unregistered developers currently
produce a form letter asking for verification as an Apple
Partner/Associate. Thus, if you aren't one of them, you won't get an
answer.

* APDA (supposedly the Apple Program Developers' Association) is
supremely un-technically oriented. They don't sell the current
versions of software (Macsbug), but do sell ridiculously outdated
items that no longer reflect reality (Multifinder documentation).
Additionally, asking an APDA clerk will produce random answers. The
clerks have no idea what they are talking about.  No one you can talk
to there has any technical clue. I have heard of them telling a
developer that they didn't carry a certain item. Yes, they were
absolutely sure. Of course, when asked about the availability of that
same item -- mentioned by part number -- they said, sure, they had
plenty of them.

Mind you, one you do become a registered developer, the situation
changes drastically. Apple tries hard to give you plenty of stuff,
even to the point of sending out stuff that probly shoulda been
debugged for a few more days.

And is there anyone out there who believes that the current line of
technical documentation is easy-to-use, up-to-date, or even merely
ADEQUATE? If so, have you ever read it or tried to use it?

bill coderre
now an apple employee. but most certainly not a spokesperson

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/06/90)

In article <14550@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:
> I truly feel sorry for the begining Mac developers who don't have access to
> the Internet. Without comp.sys.mac.programmer, I would never have continued
> trying to program my Mac.

I have always gotten better response and better answers from c.s.m.p!
I am a certified developer, but find I rarely use MacDTS.
When I do, I often get a better answer from the net sooner.

I think you should take a look at the support offered by companies
like IBM, DEC, and Sun, and compare their support prices, and I think
you will find Apple to be a very strong competitor. I agree that the
small independent developer has a strong disadvantage, but they always
have. Thank god for Usenet, eh?

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (12/06/90)

Time for some opinions:

The Bad:

Apple's non-registered developer support sucks!!!

If you are not a registered developer, you basically have to struggle to
find all of the info out by yourself or buy APDA documentation and pray that
it's up-to-date.

Looking at the MacDTS sample source code is a good thing to do, but it doesn't
show up at apple.com for a while and if you don't have ftp access, you're
not gonna be able to get it very easily at all. Same with the tech notes and
human interface notes.

When you do get you hands on the documentation, you have to hope that its
good. I think Inside Macintosh and the Tech Notes are reasonably good, but
the supplemental sound manager documentation (for example) was pretty bad.

How am I supposed to be able to make enough money to become an official
developer if I can't debug my Mac program in the first place due to lack
of technical support?

Good:

People like "-Phil" (Shapiro-from Think,makers of Think C and Pascal).
I hope he gets paid for all of the time he puts into answering developer
questions.

Some random people from Apple. Sometimes one or two will spend some significant
time answering questions via this Bboard even though it is rumored that they
must do it "on their own time".

I truly feel sorry for the begining Mac developers who don't have access to
the Internet. Without comp.sys.mac.programmer, I would never have continued
trying to program my Mac.

Enough with that thread for me. I could go on and on, but no...

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (12/06/90)

In article <14550@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:

>Looking at the MacDTS sample source code is a good thing to do, but it doesn't
>show up at apple.com for a while and if you don't have ftp access, you're
>not gonna be able to get it very easily at all. Same with the tech notes and
>human interface notes.

APDA sells the MacDTS sample source code, you could even get it in
Australia (!).

>How am I supposed to be able to make enough money to become an official
>developer if I can't debug my Mac program in the first place due to lack
>of technical support?

I don't want to sound picky or arrogant, but good products sell.

>Some random people from Apple. Sometimes one or two will spend some significant
>time answering questions via this Bboard even though it is rumored that they
>must do it "on their own time".

The 'cat /etc/passwd | wc -l' on this machine showed 1455 entries, and
that's only one of the machines on the network. A lot of Apple people
read and answer entries, the problem is time and resources. Many of
us are busy finishing System 7 just now, so there's not much time
left for other work.

>I truly feel sorry for the begining Mac developers who don't have access to
>the Internet. Without comp.sys.mac.programmer, I would never have continued
>trying to program my Mac.

A lot of the early UNIX revolution was also due to the network culture!
I personally think that anyone with brains, a Mac and access to IM
and a development environment is able to produce code. But a network/BBs
with people discussing programming issues sure helps.

>Enough with that thread for me. I could go on and on, but no...

I think most of us at Apple are open for criticism. We certainly could
do better. Then again how many computer companies have a dedicated
developer services group? In most places this department would be considered
just a waste of money, brain and time.

I know that many of you would like to have the same service level as
registered developers. Back at Apple Australia we always had the pressure
to provide the same service to non-registered as to registered ones.
It usually helped to think, that the registered developers/companies
struggled with loans and payments, and if the product did not hit the
street some programmers could become jobless, or loose their
homes... That way it was quite easy to prioritize the registered ones.
Then again it does not mean to forget the rest.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (12/07/90)

In article <14550@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:

>People like "-Phil" (Shapiro-from Think,makers of Think C and Pascal).
>I hope he gets paid for all of the time he puts into answering developer
>questions.

I doubt that he gets paid for his time on the net. Actualy his Boss(es)
probably look down on him for wasting his time chatting on the net.
I haven't heard much from Rich latley. Its just like upper management
not to value the true worth of what Rich and Phil do here on the net. So if
you like what they do (and this goes for the folks at Apple also) write a note
of thanks and send it to them or the bosses. I'm sure it will help when it
comes time for their reveiws. :-)

I would like to publicly thank all you who offer support for your companies
products on the net, dispite all the flack that jOn mAtOUsEk has been getting
in comp.sys.mac.apps about NISUS.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

Invader@cup.portal.com (Michael K Donegan) (12/08/90)

All you guys whining about how Apple doesn't give support should
have to develop Windows programs for eternity.  Apple does the
best it can under trying circumstances, IMHO.  Why should they
give free support to anyone who wants it?  They are a business,
not a benevolent society.  Sure, guys out there writing shareware
and doing Mac consulting help sell Macs, but there are a lot of
registered developers, probably more than Apple can handle anyway.

But, for a bad time, try to get support while programming for
Windows.  You get to pay big bucks for absolutely nothing.  At
least you get some honest effort for your money, a lot of
useful software, etc.  From Microsoft, you get junk mail offering
to sell you more crap.
	mkd

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (12/08/90)

> And is there anyone out there who believes that the current line of
> technical documentation is easy-to-use, up-to-date, or even merely
> ADEQUATE? If so, have you ever read it or tried to use it?

Yeah I think the Apple Docs and Mac DTS are pretty good.  I didn't
always think so.  Then a company I work for asked my to help some
guy port some code I'd written for them to Windows.  I got exposed a
little to the MicroSoft Docs and their Tech support.  I don't bitch
about Apple any more.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

sabbagh@acf5.NYU.EDU (sabbagh) (12/09/90)

In article <31734.2760E203@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) writes:
>> And is there anyone out there who believes that the current line of
>> technical documentation is easy-to-use, up-to-date, or even merely
>> ADEQUATE? If so, have you ever read it or tried to use it?
>
>Yeah I think the Apple Docs and Mac DTS are pretty good.  I didn't
>always think so.  Then a company I work for asked my to help some
>guy port some code I'd written for them to Windows.  I got exposed a
>little to the MicroSoft Docs and their Tech support.  I don't bitch
>about Apple any more.

Amen!

I have been following this thread (with one eye open :-)).  I am amazed
at the complaints about Apple developer support.  Have any of you programmed
computers in the real world? (e.g. Unix, DEC, IBM, SGI).  You would
be astonished at the quality of support.

I am doing my dissertation work on an SGI Personal Iris workstation.  It
runs Unix (yeah, right). There are two accepted meanings of Unix: AT&T and
Berkeley.  This is neither and its both!  Call for support; you'll be lucky
if they get back to you within 3 days; and this is for a systems crash!
The only technical support (i.e., for using their graphics library) is by
reading comp.sys.sgi.

Let's face it: PROGRAMMING THE MAC IS HARD.  No amount of hand-holding by
Apple will make this less true.  This, coupled with Apple's high standards
is the major reason why new systems releases take longer than what the
market is used to.  Frankly, while most people complain about things not
running when new Systems come out, I am amazed at how well everything holds
together.  Sure, that little cdev you uploaded from Podunk BBS may cause
the system to crash, but Word, Excel, and other important programs still
work.

Hadil G. Sabbagh
E-mail:		sabbagh@cs.nyu.edu
Voice:		(212) 998-3125
Snail:		Courant Institute of Math. Sci.
		251 Mercer St.
		New York,NY 10012

"There's a difference between being hungry and being on a diet."
				- Commentary about John Cougar Mellenkamp.
Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer.

P.S. I can't wait to see the faces of "IBM PC programmers" when they really
try to write Windows applications!  There's a whole new world waiting for
Mac programmers!

chou@cs.washington.edu (Pai Chou) (12/10/90)

In article <14550@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:
>Apple's non-registered developer support sucks!!!
>
>If you are not a registered developer, you basically have to struggle to
>find all of the info out by yourself or buy APDA documentation and pray that
>it's up-to-date.
>When you do get you hands on the documentation, you have to hope that its
>good. I think Inside Macintosh and the Tech Notes are reasonably good, but
>the supplemental sound manager documentation (for example) was pretty bad.

I agree.  Also, they have pretty bad support for a lot of the international
system software (except Japanese).
I ordered the Taiwanese OS from them over a year ago.  They were
selling only version 5.0 while 6.0.3 had been available before that time.
It came with a note, "The documentation is not ready at this time;
it will be mailed to you when it becomes available."
They never mailed it to me, because they don't sell it any more
(they put it on the DEVELOP CD ROM).

Then I bought the Script Manager's package which was also pretty bad.
It had two very outdated OS's (KanjiTalk and Arabic).

Pai Chou