[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SAD MAC ERROR CODE LIST WANTED

jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) (12/06/90)

Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of the sad mac error codes from?

Thanks in advance
--
=== Jeffrey Perry			  ON COOP AT:
=== Computer Science Undergraduate	       GTE, EDCD

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/07/90)

In article <47154@apple.Apple.COM>, stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
> >Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of the sad mac error codes?
>
> Inside Mac volume II in the System Error Handler chapter has a relatively
> complete list.  Another place is Bill Steinberg's "System Errors" desk
> accessory which includes those errors plus a whole slew of other kinds of
> errors you might get from the Mac.  Here's a quick list in case you can't
> wait:

Steve,

I think Jeff was looking for the hexcodes underneath the SadMac at
boot time. There are codes assigned to these hex numbers which indicate
why the Mac could not boot.

I have seen a document on this, but can't find it now.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

tleaming@taurus.es.com (Taylor Leaming) (12/08/90)

I was looking for that very thing last year.  I finally compiled my own
document from IM and various other sources, which is floating around.
Then I discovered that Apple (?) has a complete document which covers
all machines up through the Portable.  With the intro of the three new
machines, it is probably outdated again.

If you have FTP access, connect anonymously into apple.com (130.43.2.2)
and look into /dts/mac/... area (I forgot exactly where) for something
like "sadmac.hqx".  I believe that sumex-aim.stanford (36.44.0.6) also
has this document.

I'm looking for a version which includes all the new machines (LC, Si,
and Classic).  If you should find a version which includes these
machines as well, I'd like to hear about it.

If you can't FTP into these sites, send me a message and I'll email a
copy to you.  Good luck.

Taylor

Taylor Leaming
tleaming@taurus.es.com
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (12/08/90)

The package manager gives a system error of 17+package number for package
not present. This means that a missing Color Picker is Error ID=29, which is
*NOT DOCUMENTED ANYWHERE*.  I figured out this error by disassembling the ROM
on my Mac Plus (I have a program that _used_ to use the color conversion
stuff in the Color Picker; if the user was on a Plus running a minimal system,
boom, ID=29).

BTW, the Color Picker used to work on non-color Macs(!) which was nice if you
were doing color work you didn't necessarily need Color QD to display. Somewhere
along the way in 6.0.?, Apple broke this. It'd really be nice if it still
worked.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (12/08/90)

> Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of the sad mac error codes
> from?

There's a MacWrite document nested inside one of the folders on the
Developer's CDs, the CDs that comes in develope Magazine, and the ETO CD.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec8.185739.20796@eng.umd.edu>, russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

> Have you tried calling InitPack(12)?  Maybe it is not loaded with InitAllPacks
> but will work if you init it yourself.

If you are speaking of using InitPack on non-II Macs to prevent an ID=12 error
it doesn't matter. The problem is clear: put PACK 12 into the system file and
it works.

My other problem wasn't clear enough. You used to be able to call GetColor()
on a non-color Macintosh; you'd get a black wheel, but you could type numbers
in. Now, GetColor() tries to use some GDevice traps which aren't implemented
on the Plus, so it crashes. (In case nobody's noticed, some Color QD calls
are implemented in the non-II patch, presumably so that Apple-supplied *DEFs don't
have to keep checking if there's color or not).