[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Notification Mgr during Interrupts

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (12/08/90)

A while back I posted the news that you can't queue up a notification
while your code is running at interrupt time.

I talked to a guy, Steve Thomas from MicroSoft, who says they've come
up with a work around for this.  It seems the notification manager
makes a reference off of A5 and if it isn't setup properly this leads
to the crash.  This is consistent with the randomness of the crashes
as A5 might be setup OK sometimes.

He says to load A5 from currentA5 before calling the notification
manager and things work OK.

So, if this fix really works, we can actually make us of it for one
of it's major uses.

THANKS Steve!

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (12/10/90)

In article <b.Z5X6KR@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:
>A while back I posted the news that you can't queue up a notification
>while your code is running at interrupt time.

Stuff Deleted....

>So, if this fix really works, we can actually make us of it for one
>of it's major uses.
>
>THANKS Steve!
>
>-- michael
>

>--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
>--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
>--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
>--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

  An easier solution (READ: less prone to break in 7.0) is to use the
deferred task managed set up the task to execute after you return from interrupt
level.

Mike Bell                                Internet: bell@opus.wizards.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ESVAX@dupont.com
DuPont CR&D  				 Applelink: D2747
Advanced Computer Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........