[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp 2.0 crashes on SE running Finder

dchrist@inf.ethz.ch (Dan Christensen) (12/10/90)

Has anyone else had trouble with MacApp 2.0 crashing on an SE running
the Finder?  It works fine with the Multifinder.  This is with version
6.0.5 of the System (6.1.5 of the Finder) and has also been testing
with an earlier version (6.0.3?).  After the program has been run once,
the machine is completely messed up.  Even trying to open the control
panel crashes the machine.  This happens even with the demo programs
provided with MacApp.

Just thought I'd let people know.

Dan

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (12/12/90)

In article <17724@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> dchrist@inf.ethz.ch (Dan Christensen) writes:
>Has anyone else had trouble with MacApp 2.0 crashing on an SE running
>the Finder?  It works fine with the Multifinder.  This is with version
>6.0.5 of the System (6.1.5 of the Finder) and has also been testing
>with an earlier version (6.0.3?).  After the program has been run once,
>the machine is completely messed up.  Even trying to open the control
>panel crashes the machine.  This happens even with the demo programs
>provided with MacApp.

This is a bug in MacApp 2.0 that will be fixed in MacApp 2.0.1. Here
is a description of the problem. It was originally in Technote #280,
but I pulled it out before publication because I thought MacApp 2.0.1
was going to be released a lot sooner.

"26.     BusyRemove, the routine that removes the trap patches
implementing MacApp's busy cursor mechanism, incorrectly attempts to
remove a patch on _SetCCursor that was not installed in BusyInstall on
non-Color QuickDraw Macintoshes. The result is that the trap address
for _Count1Resources is set to zero when not running under MultiFinder
(when it is running, MultiFinder covers up MacApp's mistake).

Fix:	In BusyRemove (file UBusyCursor.inc1.p), replace:

              UnpatchTrap(pSCCPatch);

	With:

              IF qNeedsColorQD | gConfiguration.hasColorQD THEN
                  UnpatchTrap(pSCCPatch);"

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions