[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK C scrap truncation

dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) (12/12/90)

Would anyone care to comment on why the THINK C 4.0 editor silently truncates
copied text to ~28K?  I realize that there may be issues of convenience to the
author of the editor, ability to export the scrap, etc.  However, shouldn't
there be some form of notification?  This could be especially dangerous with a
cut operation.

Please insert :-) where appropriate for prevention of flames.

Garth A. Dickie                 dickie@macduffe.math.wisc.edu

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.203523.13265@schaefer.math.wisc.edu> dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) writes:
>Would anyone care to comment on why the THINK C 4.0 editor silently truncates
>copied text to ~28K?  I realize that there may be issues of convenience to the
>author of the editor, ability to export the scrap, etc.  However, shouldn't
>there be some form of notification?  This could be especially dangerous with a
>cut operation.

	This bug is historical in nature; it dates back to ancient times when
the TE scrap was the only surefire way to move text around, and the TE scrap
was limited to 32K. (The editing package in THINK C uses the TE scrap for
its scrap, and the truncation point is in fact 32K.)

	I'm pretty sure this bug is fixed in development, and the fix
will be integrated into some future release of THINK C.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"...she's dressed in yellow, she says 'Hello, come sit next to me, you
fine fellow..."