[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Printer Driver Info Needed

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/12/90)

In article <4276@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> howlett@media-lab.media.mit.edu
(Scott Howlett) writes:
>I  am in a position to accept contract work which includes writing a QuickDraw
>printer driver which will eventually support several types of printers,
>including color printers.  Although I am an experienced C programmer, I
>have never written a printer driver before (I suppose everyone has to start
>somewhere :) ).
>
>While I have some sample code and other information, I am relatively clueless
>about the exact scope of the work entailed in writing such a driver.  If
>anyone out there has any information about their experiences in writing
>printer drivers, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

The Apple document "Learning to Drive" estimates two man-years.  I
believe a color driver, or a general purpose driver, would take half
again as long.  (Of course, some of us have man-months which are the
equivalent of most people's man-years!)  You can acquire the document
on Applelink.

FROM THE FOOL FILE:
"In any religion or form of worship, followers should be allowed to think
 for themselves.  In every religion that has a god other than Jesus Christ,
 adherents are not allowed to think for themselves."
    -- Lauren Stratford, "Satan's Underground"