[comp.sys.mac.programmer] _develop_ CD-ROM problems

wilde@hri.com (Scott Wilde) (12/10/90)

Has anyone else been having problems with the CD-ROM from issue 4 of
_develop_?  I get a dialog saying that the disk is unreadable, after what
sounds like several retries.  I requested a replacement copy, but the
replacement disk has the same problem.  The disk from issue 3 works just
fine, as do numerous other CD's.  Comments or ideas ?
(This is on a IIci w/ 8Meg, with Apple CD-ROM drive, HD and tape drive)

Scott Wilde
Horizon Research
1432 Main St.
Waltham MA 02154

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec10.095128@sparc25.hri.com> wilde@hri.com writes:
>Has anyone else been having problems with the CD-ROM from issue 4 of
>_develop_?  I get a dialog saying that the disk is unreadable, after what
>sounds like several retries.  I requested a replacement copy, but the
>replacement disk has the same problem.  The disk from issue 3 works just
>fine, as do numerous other CD's.  Comments or ideas ?
>(This is on a IIci w/ 8Meg, with Apple CD-ROM drive, HD and tape drive)

I've had problems with issues 2-4, mostly because the postman trys
to fit develop into my small mailbox, bending the CDROM.  Of course
I can't blame him, Apple in its infinite wisdom doesn't mark develop
DO NOT BEND, and most magazines don't mind being bent.

I called up the distributor a month ago and asked for a replacement
for issue 4, nothing so far.  How about one of the folks at Apple
sending me a new copy (marked DO NOT BEND)?  In fact, how about
getting all the issues marked DO NOT BEND?  It really can't be that
hard to get it printed on the plastic wrap!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec10.095128@sparc25.hri.com> wilde@hri.com writes:
>Has anyone else been having problems with the CD-ROM from issue 4 of
>_develop_?  I get a dialog saying that the disk is unreadable, after what
>sounds like several retries.  I requested a replacement copy, but the
>replacement disk has the same problem.  The disk from issue 3 works just
>fine, as do numerous other CD's.  Comments or ideas ?
>(This is on a IIci w/ 8Meg, with Apple CD-ROM drive, HD and tape drive)

Strange, I've been having the same problem on all the CDs I've gotten
from Apple since last May or so.  While all the older CDs seem to read
fine, the _develop_, 7.0, and Developer series have had a hard time
being read.

However, this can be fixed by cleaning the lens on your CD-ROM drive!!
I've been opening the drive and reaching in with a Q-tip (not for the
faint hearted), but I think a standard CD lens cleaning disk would also
do the job.  After cleaning the lens, these disks read fine (for a few
weeks, anyway).  If you still have your fan connected, you'll probably
need to do this every week or two.  Without the fan, it still sometimes
needs to be done.

I don't understand why just these recent disks are so sensitive.  I
suppose it's something in the manufacturing process.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of