[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How to write a scripting language

vrm@blackwater.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) (12/13/90)

I want to write a scripting language something like Hypertalk
for a program I am writing.  I have never written a language
before, so I am not quite sure where to begin.  Can anyone give
me some broad words of wisdom on what the general approach to
writing an interpreter is?  I know this is a very open-ended
question, but I would appreciate any guidance you could give
me (even if the concepts seem glaringly simple to you, because
as I said, I've never done this before).

--Kurisuto (who is not Vasile)
email un020070@vaxa.wvnet.edu (not vrm@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu)

Thank you!

pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Peter Gaston) (12/14/90)

Start with Lex and Yacc.  These are standard unix tools.  I have used
MacYacc in the past, and MPW has variants as well.  After that, it
should be pretty application dependent...

So when will scripting be available under system 7.0?  I see it as
a tight race between the single European market ('92) and apple
scripts.

pete g.

Andrew Gilmartin (12/14/90)

In article <PETE.90Dec13162319@csc-sun.mckinsey.com> pete@csc-sun.mckinsey.com
(Peter Gaston) writes:

>Start with Lex and Yacc.  These are standard unix tools.  I have used
>MacYacc in the past, and MPW has variants as well.  After that, it
>should be pretty application dependent...

Rather than starting from scratch, use an existing scripting language. The most
obvious is xlisp by David Betz. The code is very portable,   well tested, and
available from many archive sites. In addition to xlisp Betz has written
xscheme and ExTalk. ExTalk is specificly designed as an "embedded languaged." I
found ExTalk on Byte's bboard.

Good luck.

-- Andrew Gilmartin (andrew@brownvm.brown.edu)