[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK Pascal problems

djvelleman@amherst.bitnet (12/13/90)

I'm having two problems with THINK Pascal 3.0.

Problem #1:  I put a stop sign in my program and then run it.  It runs until
reaching the stop sign and then stops.  I open the Lightsbug window and look
at a few variables, but I don't change anything in memory.  Then I say "go"
to continue execution and I get an immediate system crash.  When I run
exactly the same program without the stop sign (but still in the debugging
environment), it runs fine.  What's going on?  This has happened to me twice.

Problem #2:  This is really a problem with the Project Utilities program that
comes with THINK Pascal, not a problem with THINK Pascal itself.  I want to
back up my project to a floppy disk.  I start up Project Utilities, open the
project, select the files needing to be backed up, and say "back up".  I get
a dialog box asking me to choose the destination.  I put in the floppy disk,
and nothing happens--it's as if the disk-inserted event is being ignored.
The annoying thing is that the drive and eject buttons don't light up, so I
can't ask that the disk be ejected so I can try again.  This only happens
occasionally, but it does happen.  I would guess that it's a system problem
(or maybe even a hardware problem with my disk drive) but it's never happened
at any other time, and it has happened three times with Project Utilities.
Is Project Utilities doing something that could cause the disk-inserted event
to get thrown away before it's processed?

Please e-mail responses.  Thanks.
  Dan Velleman
  Math Dept., Amherst College
  djvelleman@amherst.bitnet

blumenau@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Trevor I. Blumenau) (12/14/90)

In article <11394.276747c1@amherst.bitnet> djvelleman@amherst.bitnet writes:
>I'm having two problems with THINK Pascal 3.0.

Well, while we're on the topic, I have a few complaints...
(I own THINK Pascal 2.0, so these may have already been fixed!)

1) I hate the fact that the observe window does not automatically update
   when a new entry is added.  You have to do a step (or do a writeln in
   the instant window) to see the value of the new item.

2) What's this B.S. with the dialog box that says "Can't find file...
   Would you like to look for it?"?  This box pops up whenever you move
   your project and source files to a different path.  That's crazy!
   If I do as simple a thing as change my hard drive name (or the name
   of my development folder) nothing compiles.  The source location's
   path information should be tied to the _project_ so that if you
   move the project and the source files together nothing get's screwed
   up.

Now that I sound like a complete a..hole, let me say that I really think
that THINK Pascal is the best investment any Mac user can make.
Tied with THINK Pascal is THINK C which I don't own, but I've seen
in action (great debugger!).  Good job.

Just a bit of friendly constructive criticism brought to you by:

Trevor Blumenau
blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) (12/14/90)

In article <9764@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> blumenau@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>In article <11394.276747c1@amherst.bitnet> djvelleman@amherst.bitnet writes:
>
>1) I hate the fact that the observe window does not automatically update
>   when a new entry is added.  You have to do a step (or do a writeln in
>   the instant window) to see the value of the new item.

You just have to press the "Enter" key instead of the "Return" key after you
typed in a new variable. It's that easy...

Good luck,

	Gary

		University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (12/14/90)

blumenau@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Trevor I. Blumenau) writes:

>In article <11394.276747c1@amherst.bitnet> djvelleman@amherst.bitnet writes:
>>I'm having two problems with THINK Pascal 3.0.

>Well, while we're on the topic, I have a few complaints...
>(I own THINK Pascal 2.0, so these may have already been fixed!)

>1) I hate the fact that the observe window does not automatically update
>   when a new entry is added.  You have to do a step (or do a writeln in
>   the instant window) to see the value of the new item.

Just press the "Enter" key. Updates it perfectly.

>2) What's this B.S. with the dialog box that says "Can't find file...
>   Would you like to look for it?"?  This box pops up whenever you move
>   your project and source files to a different path.  That's crazy!
>   If I do as simple a thing as change my hard drive name (or the name
>   of my development folder) nothing compiles.  The source location's
>   path information should be tied to the _project_ so that if you
>   move the project and the source files together nothing get's screwed
>   up.

This is a great help to me when I build a new version in a separate directory.
I sometimes keep using some files and units from the older version and only
make new versions of the old.

>Now that I sound like a complete a..hole, let me say that I really think
>that THINK Pascal is the best investment any Mac user can make.
>Tied with THINK Pascal is THINK C which I don't own, but I've seen
>in action (great debugger!).  Good job.

>Just a bit of friendly constructive criticism brought to you by:

>Trevor Blumenau
>blumenau@cory.berkeley.edu

Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (12/15/90)

In article <9764@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> blumenau@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>1) I hate the fact that the observe window does not automatically update
>   when a new entry is added.  You have to do a step (or do a writeln in
>   the instant window) to see the value of the new item.

	Hit the Enter key to update the Observe window at any time.
	(User's Manual page 121)

>2) What's this B.S. with the dialog box that says "Can't find file...
>   Would you like to look for it?"?  This box pops up whenever you move
>   your project and source files to a different path.  That's crazy!

	THINK Pascal 3.0 keeps THINK Pascal-relative and project-relative
	references where appropriate, which will keep this message
	from coming up quite so often.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"...she's dressed in yellow, she says 'Hello, come sit next to me, you
fine fellow..."