[comp.sys.mac.programmer] seeking impressions about Daystar's SCSI PowerCard

pje@h.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Paul Erion) (12/15/90)

We're thinking of acquiring some Daystar SCSI PowerCards for our
Mac's (IIci's with 8meg and 80meg HD).  Does anyone have any
experience using this card?  Impressions (especially concerning
performance)?
						paul

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

INTERNET: pje@cs.cmu.edu
UUCP:	  ...!seismo!cs.cmu.edu!pje
USPS:	  paul erion, c/o school of comp sci, cmu, pittsburgh, pa 15213-3890
phone:	  (412) 268-3680

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (12/15/90)

I haven't had any experiences with this particular card, but I have
one or two things to say about SCSI-cache cards in general (I don't
know if the DayStar card is just a cache card or not): Don't get one
if you're hoping it will speed up your compiles, because they don't.
If you don't believe this, try the cheaper alternative: turn your
Control Panel cache way up and watch your performance go down.

anders

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec15.024819.17630@verity.com> anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) writes:
>I haven't had any experiences with this particular card, but I have

	Obviously. :-)

>one or two things to say about SCSI-cache cards in general (I don't
>know if the DayStar card is just a cache card or not): Don't get one
>if you're hoping it will speed up your compiles, because they don't.
>If you don't believe this, try the cheaper alternative: turn your
>Control Panel cache way up and watch your performance go down.

	I've been a beta-site for the Daystar board for the past
few months, and my compile times have gone from 25 minutes down to
around 7 minutes for some fairly large projects. Other boards may not
work (I haven't tried them), but this one does.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"...she's dressed in yellow, she says 'Hello, come sit next to me, you
fine fellow..."

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (12/16/90)

The comment about the PowerCard not speeding up compiles because the Control
Panel doesn't is not terribly clever. Just because Apple can't do a really
good disk cache doesn't mean it can't be done (remember Nevins Microsystems?).
Furthermore, the big loss from a cache is CPU time spent looking through
the cache. If the card is doing this there's little or no loss.

That said, I can't claim any first-hand knowledge of the Daystar Powercard.
What I can tell you is that you can do really well with the MicroNet NuPort.
It will outrun any two Wrens you care to throw at it (except the new Runner-2s,
which it's neck-and-neck with). That's _fast_.

Of course, with those wimpy 80MB Quantums, your transfer rate is just terrible,
though your seek is OK. (Therefore, if you got a NuPort without another high-
transfer-speed drive, you'd see no real speedup.) So maybe the card would help
a bit. But remember, as soon as you bust the cache, it'll get slow again...
Also, the card is being delivered _this week_. MicroNet's card has been around
for quite a while...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis