[comp.sys.mac.programmer] fun with scrollbars and screensavers in Think C

dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) (12/16/90)

I have found something really wierd in the editor of Think C 4.0,
and would like to know if it is replicable with other peoples
machines, other programs, etc:

 - grab the thumb in an edit-window scrollbar
 - go to the sleep-now corner of your favorite init-installed
   screen saver, and wait for it to start up.
 - come back out.  the editor does not update its windows (no
   surprise here)
 - drag the thumb outline (now floating in a blank window) to
   somewhere below the top of its range, and drop.

If you experience what I did, the scrollbar is now semi-permanently
shifted down to where you drop the thumb.  Something is apparently
munging the partcode for the drag.

Any other ideas as to why this occurs, other applications where it
occurs, etc?

I thought this might be most appropriate here because it shows the
problems that can occur when you try to do *everything* through the
event loop, like you should, really.  I don't see *how* this could
happen, though.

Please insert :-) where appropriate for prevention of flames.

Garth A. Dickie                 dickie@macduffe.math.wisc.edu

dickie@schaefer.math.wisc.edu (Garth Dickie) (12/17/90)

I wrote:
> - grab the thumb in an edit-window scrollbar
> - go to the sleep-now corner of your favorite init-installed
>   screen saver, and wait for it to start up.
> - come back out.  the editor does not update its windows (no
>   surprise here)
> - drag the thumb outline (now floating in a blank window) to
>   somewhere below the top of its range, and drop.

As it turns out this actually works with any scrollbar; it appears
to be a bug in the screensaver or an interaction with 6.0.7. This
wasn't the right place to post this, either.  Sorry :-)