[comp.sys.mac.programmer] textEdit 32000 char barrier - advice sought

audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com (12/12/90)

I need the ability to scroll thru more than 32000 characters
in textEdit.  I once saw a discussion on this on Compuserve,
something about using buffers and swapping text in and out of
textEdit records.  Anyone have ideas on this or know where I
can find source code?

Thanks in advance.

--
John Coffman

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (12/16/90)

audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com writes in a message to All

A> I need the ability to scroll thru more than 32000 characters
A> in textEdit [...] Anyone have ideas on this or know where I
can find source code?

MacTutor recently had an article (with sources) to do this by replacing the
TEdit calls with ones that handle up to 2^32 bytes. I can't find it offhand,
but I believe that the author frequents this board, so he will probably answer

in depth (if not, I'll find the mag and post a reference).

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) (12/17/90)

In article <32576.276B8C23@stjhmc.fidonet.org>
Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
>audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com writes in a message to All
>
>A> I need the ability to scroll thru more than 32000 characters
>A> in textEdit [...] Anyone have ideas on this or know where I
>can find source code?
>
>MacTutor recently had an article (with sources) to do this by replacing the
>TEdit calls with ones that handle up to 2^32 bytes. I can't find it offhand,
>but I believe that the author frequents this board, so he will probably answer
>in depth (if not, I'll find the mag and post a reference).

The article appeared in Feb + March 1990 MacTutor.  It will probably
re-appear in their year-end collection.

Rather than type the code in and debug it (and discover that it
intentionally does not include data-management algorithms), I would
recommend that you look at one of the commercial products (these are
advertised in MacTutor).

These have the advantage of support (if something goes wrong, the
company has a certain obligation to fix it) and a better data storage
mechanism.  The code I wrote handles large file sizes very slowly.
It is probably most useful as an example of what you have to do to
implement a minimal text editor.

Martin Minow
minow@bolt.enet.dec.com

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (12/19/90)

audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com writes in a message to All

}I need the ability to scroll thru more than 32000 characters
}in textEdit [...] Anyone have ideas on this or know where I
}can find source code?

Funny thing you should ask.  I just received (in this morning's mail)
an ad from DataPak Software for a package called Word Solution Engine.
It's a TextEdit replacement for Mac Developers.  Here are the main features:
  - No 32K limit
  - Fast editing/display of large text files
  - Multiple fonts, styles, and point sizes
  - Script Manager support
  - Quickdraw color support
  - "User Styles" (hooks provided to customize characters)
  - Low Cost

As an "introductory offer" the object code is $300, and can be accessed from
Pascal, C, or Assembly.  Their number is (800) 327-6703, or you can FAX them
at (206) 573-9269.  Their address is 9317 N. E. Highway 99, Suite G,
Vancouver, WA 98665, and normal voice phone is (206) 573-9155.

DISCLAIMER:  I know NOTHING about the above package, other than it sounds
like it might be what you're looking for.  I've never used it, I've never
seen it, and I only this morning got an ad in the mail for it.

--Steve

--
----- Steve Lemke, (now in) Software Engineering, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- "I'm not a UNIX wizard, but I play the Postmaster at radius.com." -----

dmac@athena.mit.edu (David S. McCormick) (12/20/90)

In article <32576.276B8C23@stjhmc.fidonet.org>
Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
> MacTutor recently had an article (with sources) to do this by replacing
the
> TEdit calls with ones that handle up to 2^32 bytes. I can't find it
offhand,
> but I believe that the author frequents this board, so he will probably
answer

The author is Martin Minow and his articles are in MacTutor v6, nos. 2 & 3
(Feb & Mar 90), Mouse Track and Field, Parts 1 & 2.